My brother: 400 Pounds to Triathlete

May 23, 2012 in Uncategorized

I’m turning 40 next month

My brother is 48

Are we all just too old now to make any real changes?

I mean we all know once you get older

And dug in your ways

You can’t change, right?

My brother was over 400 pounds

He had diabetes

Lung and heart issues

High blood pressure

On Oxygen

3 years to live MAX

Said the doctor

And THAT was 3 years ago

Which  means today his time ran out

EXCEPT

Then he decided

This is my life

I’m taking it back

So he got the Lapband

And put together a victory list

He started exercising

30 seconds at a time

And here we are 3 years later

On Sunday

He completed his first Triathlon

He swam 250 Yards

Biked 12 miles

And then ran a 5K

The man who was given 3 years to live

Because he was dying from obesity

He’s now a triathlete

Offically

I asked him

When did you start training for it

I thought he would say 6 months ago

or even last year

But instead he said

It started 3 years ago

The day he made a decision

To do something different

Even if it was only for 30 seconds

From 30 seconds

To Triathlete

250 Pounds Lost

A life reclaimed

It’s real

It’s my brother

And I’m proud to know him

My brother did not take pictures of himself at his highest weight

But these are some of his before/during pictures

Body Marking for the Race

Untitled

Do you like his shirt?

It says it all!

Untitled

Swimming

Bike transition area

Untitled

My brother the TRIATHLETE!

Untitled

You can follow him on twitter if you like  @LJCBF

And the man said to Jesus “Help me, if you can”

Jesus replied…”IF??  What do you mean IF I can? Anything is possible if a person believes”

Mark 9:23

Staci May 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I’m so proud for your big brother. I know you are, too. I’m so glad he has been such a help, encouragement, example, trainer, cheerleader, and inspiration to you in changing your life for the better! Kudos to him!
Staci recently posted..WI Results and Weird Food DayMy Profile

Lady Amanda May 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm

YAY!!!!! congrats to him!!! That is sooo awesome. Loved all of the pictures. Holly thanks for posting them- loved seeing all of them. Wow- that is such a wonderful accomplishment for him. I cannot even imagine doing one of those races.

Teri Carter May 23, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Just got goosebumps. AMAZING!
Teri Carter recently posted..Long Time no see no read no nussingMy Profile

Barb Parks May 23, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Wow, and Wow,

Truely inspirational! You both are Amazing!

suzanne May 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm

He is an amazing man!! Congratulations to him on his becoming a Triathlete.

Amanda May 23, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Kudos to your brother!!! You and HE should be so so proud!!
Amanda recently posted..Why I Chose My GoalMy Profile

cindie May 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm

fabulous….. fabulous….. fabulous!!!!!!
cindie recently posted..Crazy StoryMy Profile

Laura May 23, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Ive been browsing your blog and I never really got the struggle and problems that weight can bring for people and the thinking behind it all. The video on the right of your site with the music playing and the traumas that have haunted you really helped me to understand.

Good luck and all the best.
Laura recently posted..Shopping AroundMy Profile

Chetney May 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I got chills and teary eyed! I love it!
Chetney recently posted..Chili RecipeeeeMy Profile

Sheila May 24, 2012 at 12:27 am

YAY!!! What an amazing accomplishment! I know how proud you are of him but I’m guessing he is JUST as proud of you. What a great encouragement you guys are to each other. I wish all sibling relationships could be like this. 🙂 Thanks for sharing this…that is truly amazing!

Kathy May 24, 2012 at 1:26 am

I’m proud of both of you. WTG!!! You are an inspiration to me as I get ready to head into this journey. BTW I’m over 50 and not too old and set in my ways to become successful. You are just young kids! lol

tori May 24, 2012 at 3:50 am

That’s really awesome…I hope that some day I decide to tri a tri! :O) I also hope that my brother and sis in law follow in the footsteps and realize you’re never too old to make positive lifestyle changes!

Jane May 24, 2012 at 4:27 am

Wow, what a champ! I love that 30 seconds at a time he has been able to made such a change! again…WOW! And you’re following in his foot steps! AWESOME!!!

Jessica May 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

Fantastic!!

Nikki Mohamed May 24, 2012 at 11:46 am

Your brother is AWESOME…no more awesome than his sister, though. What a sense of accomplishment! You both ROCK! Keep up the good work.
Nikki Mohamed recently posted..Today is Pretty Quiet for Anxiety ThursdayMy Profile

Linda Kuil May 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Awesome! All it ever takes is that first step and then just keep the momentum going. I love the picture of what looks to me like your brother shaking some water out of his ear!

WishfulShrinking May 24, 2012 at 4:54 pm

That is so awesome. I too had the goal of finishing a triathlon after Weight Loss Surgery. I have done 4 but took a long break but I am signed up to do another in Aug. I cannot wat for the day you tell us when you are going to do one too Holly!
WishfulShrinking recently posted..Fantastical thinkingMy Profile

Chaundelle Burch May 24, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I think both of you are such an inspiration! You are not only changing your own lives, but others as well!

Trishajo May 25, 2012 at 4:08 am

completely quoted that verse and put it on my fb <3

Beth May 26, 2012 at 4:55 am

I think both you and your brother are amazing!

Betsy May 27, 2012 at 7:15 am

Wow that is fantastic. What I like is that it took time. He has been doing this for 3 years. This helps to remind me that getting fat was not overnight so getting healthy is not going to happen overnight. Right now the ellipitcal kicks my butt, given time it will be a piece of cake too. You both should be proud of all you accomplished and the role models you are to others. keep up the great work.

Mary May 29, 2012 at 12:16 am

What a wonderful story! So inspirational. BRAVO to your brother, and to you, too, because it sounds like you are also doing well.
Mary recently posted..It’s just over the bridge and down the Parkway.My Profile

Jessica From Bariatric Beginnings December 27, 2012 at 4:57 am

So awesome!!!! I made sure to follow him on Twitter!
Jessica From Bariatric Beginnings recently posted..The Road Less TraveledMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down December 27, 2012 at 6:20 am

Thanks Jessica!!

Mary Sammons February 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Thanks for your web site. I have type 2 diabetes, so need to get serious. You are awesome!