Mother’s Day!

May 14, 2012 in Uncategorized

Mother’s Day was somewhat bittersweet

I was missing my Mom

Here I am with my mom as a baby 🙂

And here is my Mom (who my kids called Grammy) with Savannah when she was a baby

My mom had a strong spirit

Which I think is what made me think she would never die

Somehow I had it in my mind that she was invincible

And it turns out she wasn’t

But she taught me this

To love your children with wild abandon

And to thank God every day that He gave you the chance

My Mom was always so compassionate towards me

She would always send me a card and presents for Mother’s Day

Telling me I was doing a great job

And sometimes when you’re  a single Mom

You just need someone to say that every now and then

To let you know

That what you’re doing matters

That it counts

Mom was always there telling me that I wasn’t alone

So this year was tough

As I stood in Hallmark looking at Mother’s Day cards anyway

Knowing I had no need to buy one

And no where to send it

I walked past the cards in the store all month long

Thinking “Mom, why did you leave me?”

And selfishly I mourned my empty mailbox as well

Missing the encouragement she always sent my way

But then I noticed a comment Staci left me

Encouraging me because she thought Mother’s Day might be tough

And then I opened the mailbox

And found a Mother’s Day card from my best friend Amanda

Untitled

Untitled

And a card from Amanda’s mother, Dottie

Dottie has a way of encouraging others

And she always knows the right thing to say

Like when she sent me this card

And today when I read the words she wrote

Untitled

I felt encouraged even in the emptiness I was feeling at my own mother’s abscence

She wrote

“May your heart be comforted in knowing that she had no choice in leaving this earth in her body, but her spirit lives on in your heart and the hearts of those who loved her”

And that is truth

She had no choice

But WE do

We have a choice every day

While we are still here

To love our children

And that’s what I did today

I played ball

And grilled hamburgers

And played battleship

All made much easier by the 152 pounds that I’ve lost since last Mother’s Day

And I was grateful for every pound gone

And every moment gained

And the fact that my 4 children

Always find a way to make Mother’s Day special

In spite of the fact that it’s just us

That there isn’t anyone to take them to the store to get something for Mother’s Day

But they always find a way to be resourceful and creative

I woke up to fresh coffee and an omelette

Breakfast in bed!

Homemade cards and poems and even a teddy bear

Next year Savannah will have a car and a driver’s license

To make it much easier

But to be honest

I’ll never forget all these years we’ve been on our own

That my children have always found a way

To bless me on Mother’s Day

From playdough creations to homemade cards

They amaze me

Untitled

Untitled

Lady Amanda May 14, 2012 at 3:11 am

Happy Mother’s Day! Love you! Loved the first pic of your mom. I had never seen that one before. And also love the new blue shirt you have on!

Staci May 14, 2012 at 3:26 am

So glad you were able to enjoy the day despite your circumstances. I guess you are learning to overcome a lot of circumstances, huh? (((hugs))) Happy Mother’s Day! Glad you got lots of love and encouragement today. You look great.
Staci recently posted..An Early Mother’s DayMy Profile

Kisatrtle May 14, 2012 at 10:27 am

Sounds like despite missing your mama, you had an enjoyable weekend, (((hugs)))

Liz May 14, 2012 at 11:17 am

Hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day! Home made stuff is the best. My 2 managed to make me cry with their gifts this year. Their pictures and art and cards with scribbles are better than anything that can be bought in a store.
Liz recently posted..Happy Mother’s Day & Girls’ Night OutMy Profile

Robyn May 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Your mom was with you for Mother’s Day. She is with you always. I am glad you were able to enjoy your kiddos.

Deb May 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I know I say this every time I leave a comment, but you are amazing. I follow your blog like a crazy person. Ha! You are going to come out of this such a strong person – you always were, you just had to find it – and boy are you gonna raise some terrific kids!!!! You look amazing and you’re doing it and there is no greater accomplishment than what you are achieving!! It will be reflected in your children. You go girl!!!! 🙂

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 14, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Thanks Deb!! I really appreciate that so much!!

Heidi Bryan May 14, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I lost my mother when I was just 21 y/o…she has never met her grandchildren, and I miss her everyday. I wish she was here to tell me what an awesome mom I am. I think we all still need that encouragement. But you are right, all we can do is love our children with the incredible love our mothers taught us, and continue on with our lives, knowing they are watching us from above, and live inside us everyday. I am so sorry you lost your mother 🙂
-Heidi
Heidi Bryan recently posted..Mommies are actually superheros…My Profile

suzanne May 15, 2012 at 2:32 am

I find mothers day bitter sweet. I haven’t been with my mother since I was 2 years old. I was brought up by my grandparents who have since passed away.

I do though enjoy mothers day because I am so glad I have such great children who make me so happy to be a mother and there’s never a day go by I don’t appreciate them.

I am so glad that you were blessed on mothers day! What a wonderful family you have.
suzanne recently posted..What a great day!My Profile

Chetney May 15, 2012 at 2:56 am

Happy Mother’s Day! Those cards were perfect! I really liked the sentiments, very sweet 🙂
Chetney recently posted..Clothes!My Profile

Ronnie May 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Glad you had such a great Mother’s Day. <3

Susan May 18, 2012 at 3:14 am

Just discovered your blog and this article was my first read. I also feel somewhat mixed on Mother’s Day, losing my mom 6 years ago. It is hard – I am so glad you have others that recognize you as a mom when you need that! You rock!

MoxxieMae May 19, 2012 at 10:48 pm

This was my first read of your blog (sent over on Susan’s reccomendation)
I lost my mom a year ago January (she was 52 – brain tumor) and one of my best friends (28, lung cancer mom to 2 preschoolers) just 3 weeks before this mothers day. I found this mother’s day incredibly hard and yet special at the same time.
All we can do is love our families and ourselves and cherish all the memories of the great moms in our lives (living and past…)
I love your blog! 🙂