Halfway There! 150 Pounds Gone!

May 2, 2012 in Uncategorized

Untitled

It’s hard to believe that a mere 10 months ago, I was researching motorized scooters

I had already sprained my ankle 5 times in the past few years as it buckled under my weight

I had lost my ability to stand up for very long

The back breaking pain

Swollen feet that I could barely walk on

I was limited as to where I could go and what I could do

My world was shrinking

Even as I was getting larger

The motorized scooter was going to be the last hope for me

I will regain some mobility, I thought

At least I will be able to walk without fear of breaking both my ankles from the weight

If only I could find one large enough

But God had another plan

A better one

The first time I was approved for weight loss surgery it was 2006

And right before my first consult with the surgeon

My husband walked out

And took my health insurance with him

So I gave up

And gained another 117 pounds

And one day I asked God to open a door

To help me

And He did

By the time they rolled me into surgery

I had no doubts

I just knew

This is it

Your last chance

Take it

48 hours after I had 85% of my stomach removed

There was only one thing on my mind

Taco Bell

You see they removed a large portion of my stomach

But not my brain

Not the part that likes to overeat

There was no chip inserted that downloaded an exercise program

I had to do that myself too

And I will never forget the first day I went walking

It was in my hallway at home

Not very long

I walked to one end and back

That was all

But I added a little each day

5 times

Then 10

And soon I was out the door

To the mailbox and back

The next day to the neighbors

Those small steps that I started in the hottest part of a Texas summer

Have led me to this bright spot where I now live

A world where I can envision a real future

Not one riding the couch watching people’s lives play out on television

Living vicariously

No this is a world where I go to baseball games

And throw the ball around with my son

A world where instead of waking up in the morning and heading to McDonald’s

I’m going to Planet Fitness

A world where I can tie my own shoes

Fit in chairs

BREATHE

I sleep through the night

IN MY OWN BED

It’s been at least 3 years since I’ve been able to actually sleep in a bed

My weight was suffocating me

Cutting off the air

At first I could just prop myself up on pillows

But eventually that no longer worked

By the time I got over 400 pounds we had to get a supersized recliner

And it was still tough to get through the night

But for the past 2 weeks I have slept in my bed

FINALLY!

I can sleep on my side again!!

Try to turn 417 pounds on its side

You can’t

I used to be a side sleeper

And now I am again

For me—that’s a dream come true

To actually be comfortable when I sleep?!

The world “comfortable” left my vocabulary years ago

It’s back!

I went to the eye doctor for the first time in 3 years last week

Because I can finally fit in the chair

I went to the movies for the first time in years

Because I can finally fit in the chair

I moved the seat forward in my car!!

Because I’ve lost 150 Pounds

I named my blog “300 Pounds Down”

And today I’m amazed to say

I’m HALFWAY THERE

And you know the craziest part?

The most unexpected blessing along the way?

YOU!

The people I’ve met through blogs

And not just the weight loss surgery patients

The Weight Watchers and Low Carb and Whatever Diet you Choose

We’re all on the same journey

Even people who don’t struggle with their weight have encouraged me

Because they may not have food issues

But we all have life issues

So they get it

They know what it means to feel like there is no hope

I had no idea that in the process of losing this weight

I’d gain a world of friends

So thank you and please know that

Untitled

Because when I’ve felt down

You’ve raised me up

So share in my celebration

The race isn’t yet won

But I know this

When God starts a good work in you, He will not quit halfway

He will take you all the way to the finish line (Phillipians 1:6)

Me 10 Months Ago

BeforehollySIDE

BeforeHollyFront

And Me today…
Untitled

Untitled

Staci May 2, 2012 at 5:24 am

Woohoo!!!! You go girl! You are awesome. Halfway to goal! I’m so very proud of you, as I know hundreds if not thousands of other people are, too! 🙂 You look so SASSY in that last pic! hehe
Staci recently posted..Worse Than I FearedMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 6:02 am

Thanks Staci!!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..Halfway There! 150 Pounds Gone!My Profile

Kate May 2, 2012 at 5:58 am

Really great hard work you have done to lose weight.
I am proud of you. Now you are looking so cute.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 6:02 am

Thanks!

shawanne May 2, 2012 at 6:00 am

did you have to get another surgery to remove the streatched skin

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 6:02 am

I’m still losing weight. Another 150 pounds to go 🙂 I’ll see what the state of affairs is then!!

Kody May 2, 2012 at 6:10 am

wahoo what a victory!! Bless your heart!!! I am so happy for you!! You will be where you want to be in no time! You look wonderful !!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 6:12 am

Thanks!!

Nicole May 2, 2012 at 8:11 am

Your blog makes me cry almost every time I read it, but in a good way! I will be following you on your journey.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Thanks Nicole!!

Linda Kuil May 2, 2012 at 9:22 am

I used to have to sleep all propped up on pillows for the acid reflux. Eating tons of food before you go to bed will do that to you. Now I sleep on my side with something (blankets or a pillow) stuffed between my knees because the bones touching hurts! It’s the little things like that that make you realize how much you truly SUFFERED being obese!
Linda Kuil recently posted..EDITING!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Wow Linda!! I totally get it!!

Kiwigirl May 2, 2012 at 9:35 am

Every time I read a blog entry from you, I am more inspired. You look amazing and even more importantly, you look so happy! Congratulations beautiful girl… you should be very proud of yourself
Kiwigirl recently posted..Fleet Footed…My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Oh thanks Kiwigirl!

Kaitlyn May 2, 2012 at 9:44 am

“We all have life issues”
So, so well said. And so true. I may not know what it’s like to struggle with my weight but I know what it’s like to struggle with something about myself that debilitates me.
I love your blog. I love it’s honesty. I love that it sometimes makes me cry – not because it’s sad – but because hearing a story like yours makes me so happy it brings tears to my eyes.
Kaitlyn recently posted..27 Things I’ve learned…so farMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Oh thanks Kaitlyn. And if I can ever encourage you just let me know. You’re awesome!

Joianne May 2, 2012 at 10:10 am

Way to go!!! You look FABULOUS! I know you must feel even better than you look. I’m soo proud and happy for you!
Joianne recently posted..Let’s talk breadMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:42 pm

You’re right . It’s how I feel that has made all the difference!! thanks Joianne!

latonyia May 2, 2012 at 10:52 am

First I would like to say I think you are like the best writer!!!! I enjoy reading whatever you have to say.secondly I enjoy the craving for life you have, you make me never want to give up and to appreciate this journey that I’m going through.Thank you for that. Thirdly have you ex husband seen the new you yet? And if he did did he compliment you?

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Wow what a compliment Latonyia!! Thank you so much! I’m so glad we are on this journey together. I haven’t seen my ex-husband yet because he has been stationed out of the country with the military. But we’re facebook friends (ironic, huh?) lol….That’s how he gets the up to date pics of the kids and I’m there too. So I’m pretty sure he won’t be too suprised!

Joanna May 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

You truly are an inspiration. I love you. I love your blog. I know that whenever I’m feeling a little down – I can always come here, and you can brighten the darkest of days.

You are my hero. 🙂
Joanna recently posted..Probably One of My Biggest NSV to DateMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Oh thanks Joanna. That just made my whole day!!!

Trish @I_am_Succeeding May 2, 2012 at 11:27 am

You totally inspire me!!!
Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..Many Roads Lead to SuccessMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Thanks Trish!! You inspire me too!

Liz May 2, 2012 at 11:34 am

I notice a major difference between your before and after photos (besides your weight), you’re smiling in the afters! And you should be. What a great accomplishment!
Liz recently posted..The 28 Day ShredMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Oh thanks Liz!

Kimberlynn May 2, 2012 at 11:37 am

You are beautiful and your joy shines from within! I’m so happy that you’re working at changing the parts of you that weight loss surgery can’t change. It’s so important in this journey because it’s about so much more than what we put in our mouths. You get that!

Be blessed Holly!
Kimberlynn recently posted..Excuses, ExcusesMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I agree Kimberlynn!! Thank you!!

Lisa M. May 2, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Holly, you are an amazing woman! I have shared your story with many many friends that are going through the same process. I am so glad our roads lead us together and am proud to call you my sleeve sister!! Keep up the amazing work, not only with weight loss, but your life in general. Your kids are so blessed to have a Mother like you.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I am so glad our roads have been led here as well!!! Love my sleeve sisters!!

Amanda May 2, 2012 at 1:09 pm

What a tremendous accomplishment! Half way there…I have no doubt you’ll be successful in the second half of your journey as well. 🙂
Amanda recently posted..Flowers for me?My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Thanks so much!

Lady Amanda May 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Congrats!!! Soo happy for you! Thrilled with your goals being met. Am soo excited for you!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Thanks Amanda!

Rae Rae J May 2, 2012 at 2:44 pm

You look SO great. Congratulations!!
Rae Rae J recently posted..Green Coffee ExtractMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Thanks Rae Rae!!

Deb May 2, 2012 at 2:56 pm

You are AMAZING. You have an inner spirit that most people lack. I really hope this blog turns into something big for you, something that you can throw at that stupid ex husband of yours. I understand you. I adore you. I think you are one of the most amazing, inspiring people on this earth. Keep doing what you are doing. You’re gonna end up famous, honey. And we are all here watching and waiting and applauding you and your efforts. I think about your mailboxes story all of the time. YOU GO GIRL!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Wow this comment made my day!! thank you so much for taking the time to leave this for me! I think YOU are the inspiring one for taking the time to leave these encouraging words! I really appreciate all of the people who give their time up to read about my journey. It has been a huge encouragement to me!

Zoey May 2, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I was telling my mom about your blog yesterday, and how inspiring you are!!! Keep it up lady, you ROCK!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

OH that is so nice of you Zoey!!

Eleanor May 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Congratulations!!! That is a huge accomplishment. I echo Zooey’s comment…You rock! 🙂
Eleanor recently posted..Satisfaction wasn’t that hard, was it?My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Eleanor!

Theresa May 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm

You are amazing! I’m so glad I stumbled upon your blog, you are real inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing with us and Congratulations! Halfway there!! Wooo hoooo!
Theresa recently posted..Getting my spider veins done on TV.My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Thank you so much Theresa!

Amy May 2, 2012 at 4:14 pm

All I can say is amazing!
Amy recently posted..I’m Marking This One DoneMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Amy!

Caron May 2, 2012 at 4:28 pm
Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Caron!!

Kelliann May 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm

The biggest difference in those pictures is not even the 150 lbs that are gone forever, but the amazing, beautiful smile that lights up everything around you in the recent ones. Inspiring, as always!
Kelliann recently posted..3/90My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Thank you so much! THAT made me smile!!

Steelers6 May 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Yay, I noticed you had posted you lost 150 lbs. That’s great. And the before and ‘during’ are quite amazing photos! Love how spiffed up you look in your workout gear photo, and you look great in the one with your proud son.

It’s weird, when I saw the photos of how fab you look, my brain also went where latonyia’s did. I was wondering if the kids see their dad, bc then he probably sees the new, fit YOU. I don’t think it matters WHAT he thinks, but I know you feel great & obviously LOOK great! Which is a very proud thing for you I’m sure.

I’m glad you have unexpected support & friendships here. Pretty sure we are all grateful to YOU for sharing! 🙂 It seems like a place of encouragement for both the readers & the writer.
All the best,
Chrissy

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Thanks Crissy!! I so appreciate you taking the time to come here and leave me such a wonderful comment. It means more to me than you could ever know!

Brenda May 2, 2012 at 4:44 pm

You are amazingly strong woman!!!
Brenda recently posted..Zumba………….againMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Thanks Brenda. So are YOU!

Faith May 2, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Half way, Baby!!! I hear the theme from Rocky in my head for some reason. 😀 I’m excited to read where you are in another 10 months, Holly..the transformation from your before pic to your current photos always leaves me in awe.
You are truly an inspiration to so many and a blessing from above. Keep up the fantastic work!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Love you Faith!!

Mercy May 2, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Wow! Amazing difference. I like reading your blog because then I feel encouraged to keep going with my weight loss. Even though I don’t have that much to lose, just about 10 kgs. of leftover pregnancy weight, it still takes all my effort to force myself to eat right and get up early for my exercise before it gets too hot.
Mercy recently posted..Lila’s Third Birthday is Here!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Mercy that is awesome!! Thank you for blessing me with this comment today!

suzanne May 2, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Whenever I don’t think I have enough energy to workout or just don’t have the time you never fail to give me inspiration!!

You.Are.Amazing!!
suzanne recently posted..Question Day!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Thanks !!

Alicia Ellis May 2, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Wow! Congratulations! I wish I could figure out a way to do this weight loss thing without surgery but so many blogs I’m reading are about using a surgical tool. Your picture looks great.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 2, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Many paths are out there but we are all after the same goal. There are tons of bloggers out there doing Weight Watchers and other methods as well. Just go through the comments people leave me and you can click on the link to their blogs. Many options!! I wish you all success!

Dawn May 2, 2012 at 8:50 pm

You’re just looking terrific. Every time I see a picture of your smiling face it makes me smile back at ya 🙂 I feel your happiness and that makes me feel happiness too 🙂 Glad you’re here too 🙂 *big hugs*
Dawn recently posted..Letting GoMy Profile

Michelle May 2, 2012 at 9:34 pm

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!! Awesome!! Congrats!! You are a wonderful inspiration!! What a great achievement!!!
Michelle recently posted..Day 1 of Pre-op DietMy Profile

Katie J May 2, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Thank you for sharing your story with us. You will be helping someone who is starting out on their journey and that is priceless.

Love your son’s smile on that picture!
Katie J recently posted..Sorting StuffMy Profile

Katrin May 3, 2012 at 3:03 am

What an inspiration you are! Congratulations. I really agree that taking small steps at a time add up to success.

Jaggar from lose weight fast May 3, 2012 at 11:53 am

Thanks for sharing this, the photo you share is big example of weight loss, nothing is impossible , you are the inspiration.Congrats

Connie May 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm

You go girl, you are definitely an inspiration to us all.
As a Mom I am very proud of my children and that pride extends to you. I love it when anyone realizes there are no limits to what they are capable of.

Leigh Costa May 4, 2012 at 1:26 am

This is so inspirational and made me tear up. Thanks so much for sharing and I just want to say a huge CONGRATULATIONS! You look magnificent:)

Lindsay May 4, 2012 at 1:59 am

You look amazing. Your face just glows!!!

darlene May 4, 2012 at 2:34 am

You inspire me every time I read your blog! Way to go! Can’t wait to read when you hit the 300 lbs down mark! I know you will though! You go girl!

AimeeWrites May 4, 2012 at 3:13 am

GO HOLLY!!!

Oh my, I am so very happy for you.
AimeeWrites recently posted..It’s a Different WorldMy Profile

Stacy May 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Love the new look and feel of your site. Love reading about your success. You are inspiring and so real – truly authentic. I recently went to a Friday the 13th “Burn your Bad Luck” party – where there was a contest for the best bad luck story, at the end of the story you got to burn what ever represented your bad luck in the fire pit. 19 years ago, my husband left me for another man. He came out of the closet, I went into the pantry. Food was my emotional resuce. I peaked at 334 – my own zip code. On January 27th, I came out of the Pantry. I began my journey to the me I see through VSG. A side effect of living through food – in the pantry, in big ugly granny panties. So at this party, in front of friends and strangers, I told my story – I was down 50 pounds since I started living outside of the pantry and living a healthier life. And yes, I burned a big ass pair of granny panties. For me, for you, for all the women out there who have been hurt and found food to make it better. They went up in smoke – along with the hurt and sadness. I’m better, more beautiful and getting closer to my goal. I read your stories and am moved, motivated, and glad to have had a Godervention like yours. Keep on keepin on! Congratulations on your success.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 5, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Stacy,
This is one of the greatest things I’ve ever read. Not just the story but the way you told it. I am so inspired! I’m ready to burn some granny panties with you!!! hhaha….Do you have a blog?? If you do I wish you would link up to it so we can all read it. If you don’t, you should!! I want to read more.
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..I can see! My Profile

Fiona May 7, 2012 at 9:02 am

Massive congratulations on your journey…. 150lbs is an amazing mile stone you look fantastic. I have only just found your blog through another blog. I have had a lapband for 2 years and I have not be able to make it work for me. I am planning on VGS this year awaiting a date but first have to have my lapband taken out at the end of May. Thank you so much for sharing this amazing journey with us all. xx
Fiona recently posted..The Lapband is coming outMy Profile

Andrea May 10, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Yay I love it! Congratulations!
Andrea recently posted..Chicago!My Profile

Marilyn June 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Your story is so encouraging. I am at the beginning stage of this process, getting approval from insurance. But I can’t wait to be at the 150 pound mark. I’m excited but afraid of the unknown. I’m going to trust God knowing that He has brought me too far to leave me. Thank you for sharing your ups and downs.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 7, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Hi Marilyn!! I totally understand your apprehension. I felt the same way. It was a scary thing but at the same time I had prayed about it for so long and I really believed God was leading me to make that choice. I can tell you that it was by far the best decision I’ve made in a long time!! It has been life changing and I do thank God every day for the tool He has given me. I’m really happy for you!!!

Sandra July 25, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I just found your blog through VerticalSleeveTalk.com and this is the first entry I read. I am just in the beginning of my VSG journey, still researching and learning and praying … and your story is so inspirational to me! Thank you for sharing yourself and your journey with others. I pray to be where you are one day – not just on the physical journey, but also in the Spiritual walk. I will be reading more of your story, following you as I continue to seek the Lord’s guidance and learn about VSG and get started on my own journey.

Be blessed, Holly!