Revisiting some goals

April 2, 2012 in Uncategorized

When I started this journey 9 months ago, I made a list of goals for myself which I posted back in June under “Countdown to Surgery”

I thought it would be fun to go through them and see which ones I have accomplished!

• Run around with my kids without having to reach for oxygen
Check! I am now able to go outside with my kids.  Throw the ball back and forth and play with them.  It will be a whole lot easier when I lose another 150 pounds BUT I’m definitely able to do this now.  No oxygen.  No riding the bench and watching instead of participating.
  • Clean my house without feeling like I just ran a marathon
Check! I can clean my house again.  In fact I’ve finally been able to do some decorating projects I’d put off for years.  I’ve hung pictures on the walls and cleaned out the hutch.  And even part of the garage!!!
  • Walk around Walmart without having to stop at every bench for a break
Triple CHECK!!! When I first had my surgery, the Walmart walk was part of my exercise plan. My brother drew me a map of where all the benches were.  It felt like I was running a marathon.  Prior to surgery, I could not even go inside Walmart . Now I could do laps around that place endlessly.  AMAZING!
  • Sit in a booth at a restaurant
CHECK!!  I’m not sure the other people in the restaurant fully understood why my kids were flipping out when I sat down in the booth that day but for us it was a major milestone!
  • Sit in a chair with arms without being squeezed to death
QUADRUPLE CHECK!!! You all know me by now so you know my chair obsession.  I can sit in pretty much any chair now.  I’m still being squeezed in some of them but I’m totally in the chair.  This is probably one of the greatest things to happen to me in a long time!!
  • Take my kids to Majestic Theatre without worrying that I won’t fit in the seats
I haven’t tried this yet but now that I see the goal here I’m going to see if I can make this happen.
  • Enjoy the Riverwalk with my family (tight spaces!)
CHECK!! The kids and I parked at the Pearl Brewery and walked over 2 miles down the entire Riverwalk.  Then we road the river boat back.  I actually got IN the boat.  That is NOT something I could ever have done at over 400 pounds.  This was virtually a dream come true.  After living in San Antonio for 6 years, I was finally able to experience it too.
  • Sleep through the night without having to readjust and prop up on pillows b/c I’m so uncomfortable
CHECK.  I sleep peacefully now.  It’s amazing .  Prior to starting this weight loss journey, I had probably not slept through the night in many years. Nights were more like nightmares.  I can’t even begin to explain what it’s like to go to sleep at night worrying that you will wake up suffocating.  And it’s horrible to wake up almost every night feeling like you can’t breathe.  But not anymore!  I finally can sleep peacefully through the night.  When I kiss my kids good night it really just means “good night and see you in the morning” instead of “goodbye” because I was 50% sure I would probably die in my sleep.
  • Avoid knee surgery b/c the weight is doing damage
Well when I wrote this I did not know that I would get diagnosed with arhtritis in my left knee.  I still think I’ll be able to avoid knee surgery though and that is due to my weight loss.
  • Avoid diabetes b/c it’s a miracle I don’t have it
CHECK!!! No diabetes!
  • Avoid other obesity related health problems that are sure to come
CHECK!! Things are looking great
  • Be fit at 40 (1 year away!)
Well 40 is staring me down.  It’s about 2.5 months away.  I can’t say I feel “fit” just yet but I am getting there. I’m on track.  Turning 40 will not be depressing . It will be the start of a new decade and a new life.
  • Go to my kids sports games and activities (hauling chairs across the field, bleachers, etc. make this hard)
CHECK! CHECK! CHECK!!! WOO HOO!!! Baseball games here I come!!!
  • Take my kids to Six Flags and Disney world and be able to fit in the rides
Ok this one is coming up.  Soon we will get season passes to Six Flags and Disney is my plan not for this summer but next summer.
Can you all believe that when I started this journey, THOSE were my ultimate goals? And to me I was really reaching you know? Dreaming big!  I did not even dare to dream of anything beyond that.
Now I am happy to say that I believe I can make more goals for myself
I can dare to dream even bigger

Sadly, I recall not even putting “wearing shoes” as a goal on this list because I truly did not believe my feet would ever return to their natural size.

While 9 months ago I could not even dare to dream that I would one day fit in a chair, go to a baseball game or even wear shoes…today I am doing all of those things
The possibilities are endless!

Staci's Slimdown April 2, 2012 at 8:33 pm

That is just all so awesome, Holly. And those are all things that most people just take for granted… not a goal to be had, yanno? Very eye opening. I am so happy that you have been able to check so many things off your list now! Woohoo!

~TMcGee~ April 2, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Love your goals and your accomplishments! You rock, Holly 😀 Keep it up!

If Only She Were Thinner April 2, 2012 at 9:19 pm

My husband and I are Disney freaks and I can tell you that they are very forgiving to people of size when it comes to their rides. I was pushing 340 pounds when we took our first trip to Walt Disney World and I fit on all the rides I tried. We returned for my birthday in September when I was down nearly 90 pounds and it was UH-mazing. We live close to Disneyland and we go there at least once a month. It has been exciting to FEEL the changes in my body with every visit. The energy increase for me has been the biggest thing and I LOVE IT. Shoot, just making the treck from the parking lot to the entrance was enough to do me in before surgery. Now I can go ALL day long without complaint so I know exactly how you feel.

So happy for you and the progress you are making. I truly enjoy reading (and relating to) your personal growth. It is inspiring to me. -Dawn

me April 3, 2012 at 1:14 am

This is THE BEST LIST EVER!!!! I am totally bookmarking it. At 264 I still struggle fitting in booths~that little thing is such a big goal!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your list!!!!!!!

Sarah April 3, 2012 at 2:49 am

What amazing victories. More testamony to how much you have achieved. What a superstar you are. xx

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 April 3, 2012 at 3:44 am

Congratulations on all of your NON-SCALE VICTORIES!

mommykinz April 3, 2012 at 4:08 am

Time to make a new list if goals. You've done a fabulous job! Way to go!!

LuckyEight16 April 3, 2012 at 4:28 am

That is really awesome. So happy you were able to cross most of those things off your list. You (and your kids) must be so proud!

Dawnya April 3, 2012 at 5:26 am

You are amazing!!

Lori April 3, 2012 at 7:05 am

I am so happy that you made those goals and revisited them. That is more tangible evidence of what you've accomplished. Those things, to me, are more gratifying that seeing the scale go down. They are the things that truly matter.
Lori

Anonymous April 3, 2012 at 7:27 am

Holly, maybe it is an emotional day for me, but fulfillment of your goals brought tears to my eyes! One of the most important things about you sharing your life experiences with us has been to teach people that body-weight can also put the weight of the world on your shoulders. Honestly, I never thought about the small chairs at Cracker Barrel or at the doctor's office, or that it would really be a success story to be able to go to your child's baseball game. You have helped to educate me, and I am so appreciative. Sometimes, people aren't being cruel or uncaring; they just don't understand, and that is why your story is so important. We all have our baggage, but we all need to be considered, cared-for, and understood. For anyone who feels alone, different, misunderstood, unloved (and that would be everyone of us!), always remember that God loved us ALL so much that He sent His Son to die for us; now, that is something to celebrate! Love and hugs to you and your family! rockin' mama

Lady Amanda April 3, 2012 at 7:56 am

Totally awesome! Loved reading through this! Very exciting! You ROCK!!!

Angie Mizzell April 3, 2012 at 8:33 am

Holly, this is amazing. You just illustrated the power of writing down our goals… it makes them real, somehow. Oprah has said God wants more for us than we could ever want for ourselves. This list shows that, too. Now that most of the items are checked… we can see how you are so far from done! Go girl.

MandaPanda April 3, 2012 at 9:23 am

Amazing what "regular sized" folks take for granted. You've come so far in 9 months!

Amanda April 3, 2012 at 9:29 am

This is so great. 🙂 Congratulations a million times over.

Jane April 3, 2012 at 10:38 am

This is awesome!! I know I always say this, but I REALLY am so so so so happy for you and your family! Keep it up Holly, you're a great example!

Reggie April 3, 2012 at 11:05 am

You are doing fantastic! Keep it up Holly!

Eleanor April 3, 2012 at 11:25 am

That is amazing. I totally understand. At the time you wrote those goals, it WAS reaching. Now that you have changed, circumstances have changed and it all looks possible.

I don't talk about my weight issues. I come from a long line of overweight, short women. It is nice to read about real weight loss success from a real woman who is really working hard for that success. You are an inspiration.

Debsdailylife April 3, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Thats awesome!! And so very rewarding to look back and see how far youve come!! Be proud!!
NOW, sit down and make your next list of goals!! Challenge yourself!! Dont be afraid to dream!

Czesia April 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm

You are doing so well Holly!! I just love you!

spunkysuzi April 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm

You have come so far!!

You are totally amazing. Love how your goals were do-able. Keep challenging yourself and you will definitely get to where you want to be!

Andrea April 5, 2012 at 7:27 am

This is so great! Love it!

Overhauling-Me April 5, 2012 at 9:04 am

Great Accomplishments!
You've come a long way! CONGRATS!
Now for your new goals. You were thinking big 9 months ago. What is thinking big now?

AimeeWrites April 16, 2012 at 11:29 pm

WOWowowowow!

Just found you via the comments at MamaKat’s, and here I am all teary-eyed and cheering in my chair! I am so freaking impressed by your progress and your spirit. I can identify to a certain extent – my loss hasn’t been as profound as yours, but oh wow, can I identify.

Let me tell you – you can fit on most the Disney rides now! I did at your size, so when you go next year, you’re going to be in GRAND style! My big deal at Disney last year (California) and this year (Orlando)? I could WALK through the turnstiles without turning sideways and lifting up on my toes to get my butt over the bar. OMG, what a feeling.

I’m so ecstatic for you and your accomplishments – congratulations! (Adding you to my feed, so I can continue to cheer for you.)

~A