My Planet Fitness Workout Routine

April 27, 2012 in Uncategorized

I joined a gym and I’m going to tell you all about it

But before I do, I want you to know that if you are significantly obese and feel you can’t exercise

Or that you have to join a gym or buy exercise equipment

Or workout for a full hour to make a difference

Well that is NOT the case

So even though I joined a gym,  I want you to remember that is not where I started

I started walking at 417 pounds.

30 seconds at a time.

You can read about it here

I counted mailboxes.  Mine.  Then the next door neighbors

The house after that

Eventually I made it to 5 miles

And then I had a setback

My knee was injured and I could barely walk

I had to take some time off

Due to a meniscus tear and arthritis in my left knee, I was told to stop the lengthy walks

And try swimming instead

So I got in the pool and started swimming

And then my brother  who has been a huge inspiration to me through this process came out to visit last weekend

To help me rethink my exercise routine

He took me to Planet Fitness and now I’m a member!

My brother gave me a great workout that I can do even with my knee issues

I am going to share it with you because maybe it can help others

Planet Fitness is a very low-key, nonjudgemental enviroment

Which is great for someone who feels apprehensive about the gym

And they’re cheap!

10 bucks a month!

You may look at my routine and think…huh??

Can that really be enough?

But if increasing 30 seconds at a time worked for me the first time

Then it will work for me now

It’s easy and do-able

And because of that it is a guaranteed victory!

You start simple

Keep it simple

Check the box

Accomplish your goals

And before you know it those 30 seconds will take you longer than you ever imagined they could!

So I’m taking you with me for a day in the life of me at Planet Fitness.

Here we go!

Front Desk

Untitled

They are so non-judgemental that they have a giant bowl of tootsie rolls at the front door. I’m staying away from these!! Candy and I are no longer friends :)
Untitled

They also have Bagels and Pizza. Skipping those too as they are literally two of my formerly favorite binge foods!
Untitled

This is what it looks like when I walk in. Plenty of equipment!

No critics!

You belong!

Judgement Free Zone

Lunk Alarm!

Untitled

Now here is the exact workout my brother gave me

Untitled

Here is my first stop. The Recumbent Bike.

Untitled

You have to adjust the seat to work for you
Untitled

I go for 10 minutes at Level 2. I wear a heart rate monitor that has two components. It wraps around my waist (yes I can get it around there now!). The other part is a watch. The equipment automatically picks up my heart rate from the monitor I am wearing.

Untitled
No need to hold onto the bars to get a heart rate!

The heart rate monitor has become invaluable. I know what my heart rate is when I’m working out intensely. It lets me know what to aim for and what is too low or too high.

The 1st 10 minutes on the bike are my warm up.

The 2nd 10 minutes are at a higher intensity and THIS is what I add 30 seconds to every day

So today I was up to 11 minutes and 30 seconds. Tomorrow it will be 12. And so on

Untitled

The fact that I can FIT on the bike is a very big deal. I could not have done that 150 pounds ago!

I will admit that I was scared to get on the bike because of my knee injury. I thought bending my knee like that would probably just make it worse.

I was wrong. The recumbent bike has made a big difference already. My knee does initially hurt when I start using it. Cracking and popping and making lots of fuss!

But after about 5 minutes, it settles in and I’ve found that I can bend it and go up stairs much easier even after just a few days!!

After the bike, I move to the Elliptial

I HATE IT!!

The first day I got on it (which was just last week) my heart rate was already into the 140′s and all I had done was stand on it!

It reminded me of the first day I started counting mailboxes

But now I’m up to 5 minutes

I started with 4 and I am actually only adding 15 seconds a day!

My brother and I discussed it and decided that is best for this one

It will get my heart rate up into the maximum zone faster than anything

I have a feeling that this will be my toughest challenge yet

Untitled

After my bike and elliptical routines, I head to the stretching area where I get a floor mat

Untitled

I literally get down on the floor and then get back up

Trust me–this is HARD for me

I have not been able to get on the floor and then get back up in YEARS

For me this is a major accomplishement

My brother has me doing a yoga move called Cat-Cow

Basically you are on your hands and knees and you stretch

You look up and arch your back like a cow

And then you look down and move your back up like a cat

I started with 4 times and I add one every day

Today I did 6

Untitled

I think I have my eyes closed in this picture!! But at least I got back on my feet!!
Untitled

Do I feel kind of stupid getting up and down off the floor?

A little

But who cares. I’m there for ME

And to be truthful–I have seen so far people of every age, size and even disability in this gym

It is not a place that makes you feel self conscious

So now you know my entire Planet Fitness Routine

I drop the kids off at school and head immediately to the gym

Just the fact that I’m exercising again has made a HUGE difference

Mentally more than physically

When you accomplish the goals you set, your confidence grows

My brother calls exercise the Anti-Venom

And it’s true

Because even if it’s 30 seconds

It’s the fact that you set a goal and you accomplished it

And when you do that, a switch flips in your brain

And says WOW!

YOU ROCK!

And it seeps over into other areas

Like eating

You gain strength and power from accomplishing those goals

And it gives you the ability to overcome in other areas too

So in some ways I’m starting over again

Getting back into exercise after my setback

But this is a lot like my life

Sometimes you’re cruising along and get derailed

But that’s when you regroup

And start again

Whether it’s 15 seconds or 30 seconds at a time

Slowly but surely we will win the race!

Staci April 27, 2012 at 4:09 am

I love your brother. I love him more than I love your ex, that’s for sure! Ha! Anyway, this looks like a really good routine! I had the elliptical, too. Although I can say that I only stood on one at Sears when it was on sale and stayed on one for less than a minute at a hotel gym once. Haha. I’m so happy for you! And I love your 30-second rule. I shared it at WW with a lady who is very obese because she was so intimidated to hear that she was supposed to exercise. :)
Staci recently posted..I’m Da BombMy Profile

Gi April 27, 2012 at 5:23 am

I love reading your posts they just motivate me so much! I love seeing you achieve more and more :) That exercise routine sounds great and I am totally going to steal it from you, I might alter it a bit because personally the elliptical is actually my favorite thing to do at the gym! My least favorite is the bike, I have a bit of a funny knee and I’m scared I might damage it on there. I am so jealous of your gym, I love love LOVE my gym but the downside is its such a great gym its full of meat head guys who make it hard for me to use the weights because I am scared of them and there are silly little girls who don’t seem to do anything but stand around on the gym equipment not actually using it just talking it drives me insane!!!
Good luck with your training and keep us posted :) xx
Gi recently posted..My Daily Breakdown for Y’allMy Profile

Linda Kuil April 27, 2012 at 11:12 am

I WISH I had a Planet Fitness closer to my house. My gym is $20/month (if pre-paid) and they have A LOT less equipment. But it’s a 3 minute ride from my house or less than 10 minute walk, so that’s the first hurdle- getting there! I have to say, even thouse there are quite a few musle heads there, I never once felt uncomfortable or gawked at, and I LOVE the people that work there, especially Raul! (Hey, whatever motivates you, right?)
Linda Kuil recently posted..Oh HELL No!My Profile

Vickyd April 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

What a wonderful brother you have! I have arthritis in my knees and had a torn meniscus (that was surgically corrected 2 years ago) and I agree with him that the recumbent bike and elliptical will have the least amount of stress on your knees. Congratulations to you for not giving up…many people would have!!

Trish @I_am_Succeeding April 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Amazing! That is what you are! Seriously!
Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..#Points Plus Tracking 4.26.12My Profile

Amanda April 27, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Awesome routine and I love the sound of your gym! Wish we had one here…
Amanda recently posted..Ten Thing Thursday 4-26-12My Profile

Terrie April 27, 2012 at 2:59 pm

your brother is such an amazing person, must run in the family. You are doing so great, such an insperation.

Amanda April 27, 2012 at 3:02 pm

That sounds like a great gym! I wish we had a place like that where I live. I love your workout routine, especially the cat cow stretch! That’s my favourite yoga move. :)
Amanda recently posted..Big Tom ForeverMy Profile

Lady Amanda April 27, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Great post. Loved all of the pictures. Every time I see more pictures it makes me miss you guys even more. Wish I lived closer so I could go to the gym with you!

Jane April 27, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I love that gym! So glad your brother could come help you get started. Love cat/cow it feels awesome, I love yoga it makes every part of your body feel good. Keep up the good work, as you know, you can do it…30 (or 15) seconds at a time.

Carlie Wascom January 5, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Amen to that! God is so good ! He uses people in certain circumstances (like hers) to bless and inspire and encourage others around them. And to show how great He is. That maybe He will when their soul into his mighty Kingdom! What a blessing!

Carrie April 27, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I used to be a member at Planet Fitness and really liked the place. I’m just not a “gym” person and found myself walking downtown for free…but yet STILL paying my monthly membership but not going.

After about 6 months of not darkening the door…I had to cancel. And of course, shortly after I did…I thought I wanted to do the gym-thing again.

But I stuck to my walking instead.

Good for you…it is so great to see your progress and your seriously fabulous attitude. You make me want to be a better me.

=)
Carrie recently posted..Steer clear of sky-high bookcases and ass-breathers. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.My Profile

AimeeWrites April 27, 2012 at 6:51 pm

WOO HOO!!! I’m thrilled for you that you’ve found such an accepting gym! I feel the same way about the place we go; it makes a heck of a difference when the people there are encouraging and accepting.

YES, the elliptical and the recumbent bike are *great* for those of us with knee issues. (Do you ice your knees after working out? I’ll pass on the advice of my PT’s and trainers and recommend you do so.) How wonderful of your brother to come out and do this for/with you! Ooh, do they have ergs at Planet Fitness? If you could row at the gym, that would be a blast.
AimeeWrites recently posted..Photos I Never Thought I’d Post: Spandex EditionMy Profile

Kimberlynn April 27, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I’m with you Holly…as you know I just recently joined the gym too. We even have the same heart rate monitor. I’m so proud of you!

We’re gonna get there!!!
Kimberlynn recently posted..Because I’m Worth ItMy Profile

Andrea April 28, 2012 at 12:04 am

I love this!!! You’ve just motivated me to get moving tonight – as I just snuck a third slice of Papa John’s pizza. Oops. I couldn’t help myself, I was still hungry. Ah, who do I think I’m kidding? IT was emotional, and I know it. Long story re: a long day. But I’ll hit the scale tomorrow AM and try to hit the Wii Fit again tonight. Thanks foR the motivation and for listening!!! You rock and your rother is AWESOME! (excuse typos, kind of typing w/mostly one hand!)
Andrea recently posted..The importance of time togetherMy Profile

Stephanie April 28, 2012 at 2:27 am

You’re such a positive person! It’s a joy to read this post. And that gym sounds fantastic.
Stephanie recently posted..X is for XboxMy Profile

Lindsay April 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I just want to tell you “way to go!!!!” I think what your are doing is amazing! What a great brother too. You are an inspiration!

Lindsay April 28, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Awesome a million times over.

Finding a gym you’re comfortable at is harder than people think.

xo.

ps. i promise it gets easier. I remember the struggling days … and I still have them. ;)

cee April 29, 2012 at 2:39 am

I was a memeber of Planet Fitness until this month. I quit because I would rather work out outside. But I liked it when I went. It is well worth $10 a month. It was always clean with an abundance of available equipment.
Enjoy! :)
cee recently posted..fantasy vs. realityMy Profile

Sheila April 29, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I have never heard of Planet Fitness but now I’m in love with them. I love their sense of humor and I love the big sign saying YOU BELONG! What a great thing to have blasted all accross a gym. You are doing awesome Holly and I’m so thankful your big brother is helping you through this journey. I know your mom would be so proud of you both!

Cindy April 29, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Wow. I needed to read this. I’m struggling right now, and what you (and your brother) have said about setting and meeting goals is so very true. I need to set goals I can reach, so that I can have a sense of achievement…so I can have the motivation to keep reaching forward.
Cindy recently posted..Another thing off the checklistMy Profile

joy April 30, 2012 at 2:25 pm

You’re a Rock Star!! Keep up the great work. You will reach your fitness goals!

Keep focused!!

Andrea April 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Love it! Great job Holly!
Andrea recently posted..11 Months!My Profile

Eleanor April 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm

That sounds great. I wish we had one of those here in Eugene.
Eleanor recently posted..Video contests suck…but new project is startedMy Profile

suzanne April 30, 2012 at 10:54 pm

You’ve inspired me I’m going to get an elliptical for my birthday this year! I know it’s going to be a killer workout but hey I’m up for the challenge.
suzanne recently posted..Update!My Profile

Julie May 1, 2012 at 2:33 am

Want to share your brother with me too. I could stand a coach that cares like he does. God Bless that man and also you Holly for doing this for you and for your family. Blessings my friend!!

tori May 3, 2012 at 5:31 pm

You are AWESOME…and you’re brother is pretty cool too. I’m a firm believer of “slow and steady wins the race”; adding a lil here and there to get me closer to my goals!
tori recently posted..UNBELIEVABLE.My Profile

Vanessa May 15, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Your truly amazing… May God use you in an amazing way to effect the world around you! Your story has blessed me and I am so glad that you have Jesus. :)

kikibynight June 1, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thank you so much. I read your post and have tears rolling down. I also joined planet fitness. I try and stay on a routine but it seems I only go when I am really stressed or angry. I weight 300 pounds. Always been heavy and I’m 26. I want to be able to run with my son and set an example of good health. I am going to copy the chart your brother made for you and keep it in my phone. So if I ever forget what routine to do I can look at it. Thank you. Your words inspire me. Thank you and you are on an awesome journey. I’m proud of you!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Thank you!!! I appreciate this so much and I know you can do it. Trust me–if I can, anyone can!! I am here for you!

cj June 28, 2012 at 11:03 am

Holly,

Great to hear the excellent success. I think you kind of hit the nail on the head. You can workout, diet, but if something doesnt click and you dont do it for uourself…your just not going to make. Kudos to your brother for being there for the support aspect.

happytoad July 29, 2012 at 2:20 am

I’ve been a member of the Planet since February. Haven’t gone once. You’ve inspired me :)

TT September 26, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I don’t know you but I am soooo proud of you and happy for you. I know every second of working out has not been easy. I especially like how you started very simple and built your way up. This is very important to do. I often start to extreme and get discouraged but you’re success is proof that even the smaller goals count. I also want to commend you for opting out of surgery to lose the weight. You GO GIRL! LOL My sister did gastric bypass and I have nothing to against it but I definitely have a deep respect for those who physically work hard to lose weight. You are my inspiration!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 26, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Thanks TT!! I guess my post might have been somewhat unclear (sorry) but I actually did have weight loss surgery. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on that one ! :)

val December 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Thank you! I lost a bunch of weight, but when I moved, I slowly gained every bit and then some back. I just started at Planet Fitness and saw your routine! I know that this is a judge free zone, but sometimes it’s still hard to remember that when you’re working out when you can’t run, or go as long. I will definitely use your advice and increase my workout 15 & 30 seconds at a time. I’ll get there, I just have to be patient. Thank you!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down December 18, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Hi Val! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me this comment. You are not alone on regaining weight you have lost in the past. I have done it more times than I can count and so have many others. So don’t feel bad about that! Planet Fitness is a great place to work out. I totally understand what you mean about it being a judgement free zone and yet having to remind yourself of that too. Sometimes our mind is NOT a judgement free zone!! The voices will tell us that we should not be there b/c we cannot do as much as those around us. I cannot tell you how many times the voices in my head bully me in this way! Tell them to get lost! You are doing awesome. The fact that you get out of bed and show up means you already have won half the battle!! Trust me when I say the magic is increasing a little bit at a time. Not only does it boost your confidence but over time it will add up and get you where you want to be. I’m totally cheering for you, Val!!

Randy January 3, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hi Holly
What an Inspiration! an Inspiration to us all! and what a beautiful hottie you turned out to be, thanks for sharing your story. My name is Randy I’m a 53 year old male and I too went through a life changing ordeal back at the age of 40 when after getting the results back from a physical I had high blood pressure and cholesterol was high, at 5’6″ 220 pounds I was considered obese the doc said he could either put me on meds or I could exercise, over a course of 2 years I had lost 60 pounds dropping down to 160 along with curing all of my Illnesses which I think was a bit to skinny I’m more comfortable at 166. :) To this day I take no meds.

Through out my younger years I had always been very active and skinny but was a smoker, I quit smoking at the age of 36 so that may have contributed to my weight gain, to 220, I was miserable and hated what I had become, during the weight loss I’d have to say the best part about it was recognition and comments that I received along the way and second would be how good it felt to be healthy.

Early last year I had dropped the gym and through out the course of 2012 I had gained 11 pounds back up to 177 and believe me I feel it, it’s also noticeable so I realized dropping the gym was a mistake so I just rejoined yesterday in which brought me to your blog after reading it I know this was not easy for you but the outcome is so rewarding and I’m sure if you are anything like me when you hear all these comments it’s almost like winning the lottery.

Thanks you so much for sharing your story I really enjoyed reading it.

Mike Doran January 15, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Thanks so much for your Planet Fitness personal ecperience. My wife and I go there now. She had her left foot broken in the same spot three times in her past, her right foot crushed in an automobile accident. Her right knee has been operated on and sometimes she ca barely walk. I myself was in a wheelchair for 3 months due to a back injury. Your routine is similar to ours I have her walk slowly now mind you on the treadmill for 15 min(now) and I walk briskly for up to 1.5 miles ( I started before her). We then proceed to the recumbant bikes for about 10 min. Then she stretches and I lift light weights. She then waits for me and I due my stretches. We finish with a treat on the Hydro assage bed. We also are incremental steps. We are getting better and thank God for PF Universe.

Caroline January 25, 2013 at 11:43 pm

You are sooooo inspiring!!!!

dani February 8, 2013 at 2:10 am

What a huge inspiration! I’m so glad you are doing this for you and sharing this for everyone else stuggling with weight loss or exercise. I just recently started dieting again to try to be comfortable with my body. I also have a membership at PF and I haven’t been in ALMOST A YEAR. I just can’t get motivated. I’m going to the gym immediately after work, but am dreading it.. I was looking for that motivation, and this post really helped me. Thanks for sharing!

d February 16, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Reading this made me feel so much better. I joined planet fitness today and I really did feel comfortable in there. It was my first day and I could only do 5 minutes on the elliptical! I will try brothers routine! Thank him for me!!!! D

Athena March 15, 2013 at 1:18 am

I have a question. I’m currently at 371 Lbs., I started at 389 in January. I’m thinking about joining planet fitness but not sure if the cardio machines have weight limits..do they? I’d feel really bad joining then finding out I can’t get on half of the equipment. I’m working on losing weight and haven’t started exercising yet but all my friends say they love planet fitness and i want to too!

Tiffany April 5, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Only the tanning beds have a weight restriction. If the machines can handle guys lifting 300 pounds, then they can handle a heavy person. Good luck! I love this gym!

Kristina March 15, 2013 at 1:49 am

In just a few words, you are such an inspiration to me. I am currently at 320 and holding…I have lost 24 pounds since Jan 2013 and just now today joined PF…Thank you so many times over for setting my mind at ease. I also use MFP [My Fitness Pal] to track all my foods too. I know I can lose, but knowing other people have done it and look as amazing as you give me something to strive for. God Bless, Kristina
Kristina recently posted..Just Updating on a Saturday EveningMy Profile

Tiffany April 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I’m so happy for you. You are doing what you can and not killing yourself. You are shedding the pounds and you look amazing. This is a very inspiring story. Not everyone has time to work out for hours a day to lose mass weight, but everyone has 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10.. I live 6 minutes from a PF. I started 3 weeks ago, at 280lbs. I’ve dropped 6 pounds and my husband has dropped 16. Started at 20 minutes walking, and even with such a short time, I’m going 20 minutes on the step machine. Lots of fun, and no one is pressuring me to sign up for a personal trainer or intimidating me in any way. Best gym I have ever been to. Only gym I plan on continuing to be a member for years to come. Keep up the good work! You are amazing!

Frank o May 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Awwww good for you!!!!!

Diane June 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I just read all your steps one by one,I just want to say thank you from being a kind hearted person to share your goal with other I am going to planet fittness n get my mind body together,in by reading your steps has made me more then eager to go.thank you

Lashonda battle July 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm

This is really wonderful everything that u did to improve your heath and the well being of your life I love reading your stories of how u over came your own battle again your weight. And won thanks so much for let me know your workout plan and letting other like me and the former heavy u know yes we can do!!! One step at a time. You look very lovely and may your hard work always show in your life.

Rick July 31, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Awesome!! Im proud of you and you look great now

Ryan August 26, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Hello, I stumbled upon your article looking for a strength training routine to do at Planet Fitness. But after reading your story, I just wanted to tell you that you are truly inspirational. I am so happy for you, you look great! Keep up the good work. God bless you, your brother, and the rest of your family.

Bill September 23, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Wonderful job…. I am proud of you and I know how you must feel when you look at then and now….

Sandra H November 5, 2013 at 1:29 pm

That is awesome! You are such an inspiration! You look great!

Rich November 7, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Hi! I hate holding onto the bars… does your heartrate monitor connect to the machines? If so, where did you get it?

Keep up the good work- you look amazing!!!!!

Thanks,
Rich

Nicole November 23, 2013 at 4:51 am

It takes tremendous strength and courage to push yourself like you are doing!
You are doing a great job! Keep up the good work! I still have a ways to go to hit my goal but blogs like yours truly encourage me to work at it a little bit harder!

Linda December 23, 2013 at 12:16 am

After I read thus I cried. I joined planet fitness online and went to pick up my key today. I was overwhelmed when I saw the machines and all the little people exercising. To be honest I wasn’t sorry I could even go back. There was no one my size they are not even remotely close. I didn’t know where to begin the trainer is unavailable for another two weeks to help me with the plan. So I’ll take yours to get started and I can’t thank you enough for posting this.

DeeDee December 27, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Linda – I just joined Planet Fitness, and the first couple of times I went there, I felt like you. I saw quite a few muscly fellas and very fit women and it intimidated me a bit, not to mention the fact that I had no clue how to use the machines, and felt so clumsy fiddling around with them and taking to long to set them up. However, I had to remind myself that even the “good looking” people were just trying to do their exercises and keep fit. No one was grunting or showing off or staring or flirting or doing anything dumb. Everyone seemed pretty focussed on their routines. I had to remind myself that no-one probably noticed the flabby, middle-aged lady whose treadmill kept slowing down because my heart rate was too high. The skinny people aren’t judging you (if they are, well, they’re probably nasty and bitter and not worth knowing). We shouldn’t ascribe thoughts to them that they may not have. We are just self-conscious because we are at a lower fitness level than we need to be.

Now today, I was very tired going into the gym, and I had limited time. I got the trainer to show me how to do the 30min circuit (it’s hard!), and once he had shown me what to do, and I was concentrating on the exercises, I realised that I had become completely oblivious to everyone in the gym! Now I am old, flabby, sweaty and slow, and I have asthma. What a sight! But once you start going, you get that feeling of determination, the feeling that won’t allow yourself to stop. That’s what happened today. And I jogged a whole 15min at 4mph without walking once! It HURT! Once you get on the treadmill, just play with the buttons, go through the programs, see what the machine does. It makes it kind of like a toy, and you forget that what you’re doing is “work”. Oh yeah, and the machines are EASY! Really! They are self-explanatory. I felt dumb about clanging around on them because it’s new to me, but even the second time I got on them, it was more straightforward. They’re just giant toys! Remember when you were a kid swinging on monkey bars? That’s how the exercise machines can be! So OK Linda – don’t give up…. you have a right to play with those toys as much as anyone else. Get your fitness plan in two weeks, and in the meantime, maybe just do some walks on the treadmill, or try out 3 or 4 machines on the lightest weights, just to see how they feel and what they do. Good luck!

Tim Edwards January 10, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Wow, wow and WOW! I just signed up for PF, despite fear of being told to turn in my man card, and am excited to get into a gym routine, so I Googled and have read several dozen workout posts utilizing PF. I just read through your post here and am completely blown away at what you were able to accomplish! Great job, and although I am not obese, I did have a total hip replacement November 2012, and have let my overall physique and health suffer a tad bit. You inspire me more than anything else I have read – I hope your journey has continued!
Sincerely,
Tim

gradualwisd0m January 13, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I recently joined the local Planet Fitness (they had a deal for sign-up for $1.00 then $10/month – wasn’t going to pass that up!). I asked my little sister about PF since I knew she had a membership. We went together after I signed up and now we’re trying to motivate one another to work out more often. I absolutely love how there are people of different sizes, shapes, ages, abilities, and genders. I don’t have to worry about people trying to “socialize” with me or having to be social at all. I can plug in my headphones and get to work. Now I just need to skip trying to make excuses for not going and get my butt over there at least 2-3x per week for starters.
gradualwisd0m recently posted..First 9 days of 2014My Profile

Joseph May 1, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Congratulations!!! Very inspirational, thank you for sharing!!! I just joined PF and was looking for a workout routine and found your site. I started a Couch to 5k program this week and I like it more than I thought I would. What kind of schedule did you use for strength training? I’m a neophyte when it comes to weight machines, I don’t even know where to start. Keep up the great work, you have inspired me even more to lose weight and get healthy. Thank you!

Heather May 15, 2014 at 3:07 am

congratulations I’m really happy for you and I think that’s very awesome chance for you. I just started Planet Fitness 3 weeks ago I’m very excited I’m taking it very seriously. I would love to get an update on how you’re doing and how much better or worse you feel your life has become very you have become an inspiration to many people I am sure. Thank you for sharing your story

Rebecca June 25, 2014 at 2:52 pm

What heart rate monitor did you use?? i get so annoyed by having to hold the bars and I’ve been shopping around for one that would work with the machines at Planet fitness

Dale July 24, 2014 at 12:23 am

Truly an inspiration! I hope to read additional updates in the weeks to come.

Tracie Banks July 29, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I loved your post it was very motivating, i am also i also go to planet fitness. I just started and i weigh over 200lbs. I just want to know how you keep your motivation even when the weight is not going anywhere. I get really disappointed when no weight is coming off after i have worked out. I think your story is very moving!! great job