Exercising in the Pool!

April 13, 2012 in Uncategorized

So this week I got in the pool !

And I didn’t let the 272 pounds and size 24 bathing suit hold me back

Considering I was 417 pounds wearing a size 36 bathing suit last summer I can’t complain!

And everyone says that swimming is great exercise especially for the obese because it is non weight bearing which is really nice for those of us who may have arthritis or other issues to deal with

In fact it’s somewhat ironic that obese people feel the most uncomfortable getting in the pool when in fact they might be the ones most in need of it!

When you’re carrying an extra 300 pounds on your body then just imagine how much that is impacting you with every step you take

Walking in the pool does not impact you in the same way! It removes the pressure!

AMAZING!

So I got in the pool with my kids and had a blast!

This is what we bought

Untitled

Untitled

Now I’m new to the pool and we were using these on our own so I’m not saying we were using them to their maximum potential 🙂

But we were having fun!

And the truth is that we were kind of sore the next day!  There is no doubt it really does give you a workout!

Untitled

Untitled

My daughter, Annabelle, and I working out together in the pool !!

029

Untitled

Staci April 13, 2012 at 2:46 am

Man, don’t ever give your daughter a REAL gun… she looks ruthless! LOL I used to do water aerobics at a women’s only class when I was pregnant with my first. LOVED IT. Funny, the only place I didn’t feel like a WHALE was in the WATER. Ha! 😉 I bet you could google and youtube and find lots of things to do for pool exercising with your new equipment.

Faith April 13, 2012 at 3:31 am

Love these photos. especially the last one. Makes me want to give the pool a try, I miss swimming and the feeling of weightlessness the water provides.

Sarah April 13, 2012 at 9:01 am

Well done Holly. The floatation dumbells are really brilliant. We use them in my aqua aerobics class. Keep them under the water and push them down or out in front of you. As you get stronger hold your arms out to the side on the surface and use them to help you balance as you pull your knees up to your chest. xx

Debbie April 13, 2012 at 10:56 am

That looks like fun. Glad you felt sore, isn’t that the best feeling.
Just keep moving = you got this.!!

Trish @I_am_Succeeding April 13, 2012 at 11:25 am

LOVE that last pose!!! Oh how I remember swimming and loved it! Growing up in Florida you just could not get away without being in the water…a lot! Here in Maine it is a bit different story though. I think I might work on taking advantage of the few warm weeks we have this summer and get my buns wet though.

=)

Lucy April 13, 2012 at 11:35 am

Love that last photo! I wish we lived by a YMCA or something!! You’re blessed.

Linda Kuil April 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Why was your gf strapping bricks to your waist? I know that it’s a flotation device, but it’s so funny that you looked like you were being “whacked!”

Amanda April 13, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Love that last picture!!! I love how you’re embracing the pool and those props will definitely help you get a good workout in. Also, I’m not sure if you caught this, but you’re teaching your kids that exercise can be fun. What a good mommy you are!

joy April 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm

SO much fun!! You look great in your suit!! Glad you found some fun in the pool!

Keep focused!

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Gosh…I’ve been swamped this week and am SO glad to finally catch up and see you’re having a FABULOUS time!

And you look great!

And I love the changes you’ve made to your blog…how cool!

So glad you and Amanda are living it up. What fun!

Nanette N. April 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I freaking LOVE aquacise!!! I’ve done it for 4 semesters at school. And taking a load off the joints and moving pretty painlessly is so nice. And here I go contradicting myself from my last comment… It is also very important to get some weight bearing exercise in for your bones and fine balancing muscles. But aquacise is another one of those fantastic work outs that I fully endorse! 🙂

EmDub April 13, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Go girl!!! Great job getting into the pool, you’ll have so much fun and so will your kids! And really…that last picture says it all 🙂

Kimberlynn April 13, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I know what you mean…I just got in the pool yesterday myself and loved it. It was such a nice change of pace and felt so refreshing.

Keep up the great work!

Jennifer W April 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I just love that last picture! I do Aqua it at the gym 2-4 times per week, and can attest it is a great workout. It was really my sole form of exercise as i lost my first 100 lbs. Keep it up, Girl!

Jennifer W April 13, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I meant Aqua Fit…

Chetney April 14, 2012 at 2:02 am

Y’all look like sisters!!

Mercy April 14, 2012 at 2:05 am

What a fun way to exercise. If I could, I’d swim daily. Then I wouldn’t have to sweat during exercise. (It is currently 35 deg.C here.)

me April 15, 2012 at 3:14 pm

This is AWESOME!!!! I would love to do some pool workouts regularly….

Anitra February 10, 2016 at 5:35 am

I like to party, not look aretilcs up online. You made it happen.

Andrea April 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Good for you!!!

Kara April 16, 2012 at 4:49 am

So awesome!!! We have a pool that opens here in the summer and we live in it. I guess I will be needing a smaller swim suit this year!
Kara recently posted..Look who got a haircut:My Profile

Shannon April 17, 2012 at 11:36 am

Thank you for the kind comment you left on my blog..that is how I found yours. I have to say..I’ve been nervous about utilizing the pool at our local Y. They offer a “strength training” class in the pool though..and I just may do it. I’m hoping the weights used are like the ones you show here. You are looking fabulous!!
Shannon recently posted..Monday, MondayMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down April 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm

That’s awesome Shannon! Go for it!!

Steph April 17, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Bwhaha! Love that Charlies Angels pose! Im so glad I stumbled across your blog today, you are such an inspiration! I cannot wait to read more of your adventures in weight loss =]