Whatcha Doin’ Wednesday: March 7th 2012

March 6, 2012 in Uncategorized

Whatcha Doin’ Wednesday is me giving you a snapshot of a week in my life. From last Wednesday to this Wednesday.

So this week I had the MRI on my left leg.  This is monumental because you may recall that the last time I needed an MRI I was turned away because I would not fit in the tube.  And then I was referred to the zoo.

Yes-the zoo.

But not this time.

And it was wonderful going in there knowing that.  Knowing that there would be no technician looking at me with fear in his eyes because he did not know what to do with me.

So I showed up at their office and the waiting room was literally one of the smallest I have ever seen.  It was extremely small.  There was no way I would have been able to maneuver around that place at over 400 pounds.  I would have felt like Alice from Alice in Wonderland when she grew too big for the house.

What a difference life can be at 284.  You’re still obese but you fit.

I was met in the waiting room with this chair

It looks kind of big from this angle, right? But it’s not.  Not when you’re obese.  However, I fit! And my daughter took a picture of course for the special occasion.

As you can see I’m still spilling out of it a bit  BUT it was not all that uncomfortable.

In the past, I’ve squeezed into  chairs that literally cut into me to the point of me bleeding underneath my clothes.  So a little bit of a tight fit? That’s nothing!

Me and the chairs I can fit in….

This seems to be our new thing now.

“I wonder if you can fit in that chair, Mom?”

“Maybe that one?”

It’s our new hobby.  Seeing what chairs I can get in and out of!

If only people knew how chairs have been my nemesis for so long now.

Soon it was my turn and I was led into a changing area to put on the hospital gown.

THE DREADED GOWN

If you’ve been obese, you already know this story.  They don’t fit.  You need two.  I talked more about it here.

But not this time.

Wow I say that a lot lately, don’t I?

NOT THIS TIME!!!

It was actually really big with plenty of room to spare.  Amazing!

And now we come to the MRI.

You have NO IDEA how badly I wanted to get a picture of me in that tube!!! Seriously, I was obsessed with it! But I also had anxiety about the experience so I couldn’t bring myself to ask the technician to do it.  I was still worried about getting on the table and going in the tube.  While I was laying there on the table I was continuing to come up with ways I could ask them to just snap a quick pic of me in there so I could put it on my blog! And this was such a big deal for me that I really wanted that picture!

But alas, I didn’t get it.  Sorry.

But I fit! And that’s amazing.  Now I have a fighting chance at figuring out what is wrong with my leg because I could have the MRI done.  7 months ago I would have just been turned away.

I’m able to do so many more active things.  Things I could not handle before because I didn’t have the energy.

My 11 year old daughter wanted to have a slumber party.  She’s been wanting to for a long time. but before I couldn’t deal with the planning of it.  And my energy level was so low that I could barely deal with myself much less 4 screaming 11 year old girls!

But not this time! ….Oh there we go again!!

Ok…Ok…I know what you’re thinking.  Take out and sodas are on the table.  But I didn’t eat any of it.   And I’m a  work in progress where my kids are concerned.  I know I need to transition them away from a lot of the junk they’ve been accustomed to eating. But I did stop buying the sugar cereals and TRUST ME that was a battle.  But they’ve adjusted.   I don’t buy soda any more but this was a special occasion.  I let them splurge.  Not sure if I should have. But I did.  Well, one step at a time.

The next day when the slumber party should have been over, the girls wanted to go to the mall.  Normally I would have been exhausted but NOT THIS TIME!!

Even with my knee acting up, I’ve still got triple the energy I used to have.  So off we went.

My oldest daughter, Savannah, walked around the mall with the slumber party crew.  And I took CJ and Charlotte to Inflatable Wonderland.

INFLATABLE WONDERLAND!!

We haven’t been there in years for all the obvious reasons.  I just couldn’t handle it.  I couldn’t fit on their picnic table style benches or their wooden tables with chairs that are not made for people of that size.

But finally we went!! And they had a blast.

And guess who was able to sit on a WOODEN chair?? The exact kind of chair I have broken in the past.

My little man was quite impressed by his shadow on the way back to our car

And a cool car he saw in the parking lot

My son, CJ, had been growing his hair out for months because he wanted the Justin Bieber hairstyle.  Well, the hairstyle Justin Bieber had before he cut it (and you could never believe the controversy that caused in the world of my 11 year old daughter and her friends but that’s another story!…)

But he changed his mind and announced that he would much prefer to look like “Twist” from the “Fresh Beat Band”

And that is right about the time the kids started begging me to take them to Sharkey’s.  This is a kids salon specifically designed for them.  I took them a long time ago when it first opened but have never been able to go back because of my weight.

For one thing, it gets crowded and they have these tiny stools to sit on.  We all know there was no way I was going to be able to sit on that when I weighed over 400 pounds!  And I couldn’t just stand and wait because of the pain. So whenever the kids begged me to take them there, I would have to say no.

But not this time!!!

And here are the tiny stools they expect you to sit on!

And here I am sitting on it!!

New hairstyles!

On the way home, we saw Elmo waving on the side of the road!!

One of the restaurants was having a Kids day and there were all kinds of characters dressed up. Face painting and balloons! I SPONTANEOUSLY pulled over for the kids to hug all the characters and take a picture with them as well as enjoy all the activities.

I can tell you I did NOTHING spontaneously at 417 pounds. I definitely did not hop out of the car to do anything that was not absolutely 100% necessary because half the time I wondered if I would make it home at all.

But here I am now.  Hosting slumber parties.  Taking kids to the mall.  To Inflatable Wonderland. To Sharkey’s the kids salon . And still  having enough energy to spontaneously pull over so the kids can see Elmo.  In the past, they would have wanted to but known they couldn’t.  More disappointment.

You know what’s nice? Not having to disappointment your children–CONSTANTLY

I’d say that was a good week!

How was yours?

Sheila March 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm

YES, it's finally TIME and I am SO happy for you. I love this post and all the photos. You are one step closer to figuring out the knee thing and I am still praying for good news for you! I have to tell you today my mentee (and good friend) Tracey (aka TZ) texted me hoping for strength to fight against the donuts in the breakroom and I texted her back and said DON'T DO IT, THINK OF HOLLY and how food is NOT our friend! (Seriously I did…she is having the VSG in June, so she *could* have eaten a donut without consequence) but she stayed strong! The power of HOLLY! 🙂

Staci's Slimdown March 6, 2012 at 8:28 pm

What an awesome post! 🙂 LOL, love it ALL. I love that you had all this fun with your family and their friends. AWESOME. I hate Bieber shaggy hair… I'm glad your son changed his mind! Ha! You are having the time of your life, girl! 🙂

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 March 7, 2012 at 3:14 am

LOVE that you're living life!! Things that average-sized people would take for granted (like getting your kids' haircuts) were things that you missed out on because of your size, but not anymore!! Your daughter's haircut is ADORABLE!!! And I LOVE Justin's hair now, and it looks like Twists 'do! How funny!

Lee Ann March 7, 2012 at 4:08 am

What an awesome post Holly! Your world is expanding while you are shrinking. And your kids' world too. How inspiring!

Diane Fit to the Finish March 7, 2012 at 4:26 am

It was a fabulous week for you and your kids!!! So happy that you were able to get the MRI and participate in all those activities that you would have avoided in years past. congratulations!

ReJoyce777 March 7, 2012 at 4:45 am

It is amazing what an entire new world is opened up to us as we lose and have the energy and drive to do these things. It sounds like you are enjoying EVER moment of it (and I am enjoying reading about it 🙂 Thank you for sharing these treasured moments of yours.

Fit Mom March 7, 2012 at 5:06 am

Sounds like you had a fantastic week! It is really nice finding out all the things you can do now isnt it?

I hope you have many more FIRSTS this week!

It was a great blog entry. Thanks for sharing!!

howdycollege March 7, 2012 at 5:36 am

Love the new hair-do's and your flip-flops and love all of the new pics! Thanks for posting- makes me feel like we had a visit with you.

mommykinz March 7, 2012 at 5:52 am

Congratulations. Your kids look like they had the time of their life!!! You made that possible.

dietschmiet March 7, 2012 at 5:54 am

Hi Holly… it's my first visit and thanks for visiting my blog.

Wow, how far you've come!

I don't think people (who haven't been quite overweight) 'get' the notion of being worried about fitting into chairs/seats etc. I still worry on the train that I'll take up more than my allocated space. And I'm about to get a plane for the first time in a few years next month – hopefully not having to worry about neighbouring passengers being grumpy about sitting next to me.

I love how supportive your kids sound – though will read back over some of your old posts to get more context!

Deb

Reggie March 7, 2012 at 6:18 am

Amazing Holly!!! Thank you for sharing. You look great and your kids are adorable.

40 Minus 100 March 7, 2012 at 6:51 am

Love this post! Especially the chairs! 🙂 Just awesome. I can… not… believe they referred you to THE ZOO. Wow. But "NOT THIS TIME!" 🙂

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 7, 2012 at 6:57 am

Oh my gosh Sheila!! I actually just read her post about fighting off the donut in the breakroom BUT I didn't realize she hadn't had surgery yet. So double triple wow. Fighting off a donut pre-surgery. AMAZING! And your comment makes me cry. The very idea that anyone could get inspiration from me is very very humbling and awesome. It makes all the pain and misery I've gone through all these years worth it! Wow you always make my day !

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 7, 2012 at 6:58 am

ahhaha I feel the same about the shaggy hair in his face. Was kind of driving me crazy but I pick and choose battles lol. I'm just glad he changed his mind!! But now I must invest in gel to maintain the spiky nature of this cut!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 7, 2012 at 6:59 am

Thank you!! And you're right…the new JB style does look like Twist. So wait a minute..maybe he still got a JB style after all! lol

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 7, 2012 at 6:59 am

Thanks!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 7, 2012 at 6:59 am

Thanks Diane!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 7, 2012 at 6:59 am

Thank you so much!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 7, 2012 at 7:00 am

Thanks!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 7, 2012 at 7:00 am

Thank you so much!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 7, 2012 at 7:00 am

How exciting about the plane!! I'm so happy for you!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 7, 2012 at 7:01 am

Thanks so much!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 7, 2012 at 7:05 am

Yes the zoo incident–quite humiliating. And I didn't go. I decided to just live with the problem and hope it didn't get worse. I was lucky. I know I'm not the only one though who has been referred to the zoo and I think it helps lessen the trauma if you know it has happened to others. Thanks so much for your comment!!

Brenda March 7, 2012 at 7:21 am

At my heaviest I had a very similar MRI experience. It was very humiliating. You are living life again! How amazing is that? You are such an inspiration.

RockBand Barbie March 7, 2012 at 7:39 am

Loved this post and all the pics in it too! My mouth literally dropped open when I read "the zoo"!!! OMG…after I closed my mouth I had to wipe a tiny tear away. I can't even begin ti imagine how that would feel…but it makes my heart hurt just thinking about how it made you feel. Love your story…you are such an inspiration!!

Robyn's Nest March 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

Holly, thgnk you for the glimpse into life through your eyes. I am obese and think I have things that hold me back but I nver realized how hard it can be the larger you get.
I am so proud of you for all the changes you are makeing and for opening yourself up to life in such a wonderful way.

Katie March 7, 2012 at 11:26 am

I'm so happy to hear of all the victories you've had this week! It is too awesome! You're family is very lovely!

Katie March 7, 2012 at 11:26 am

~TMcGee~ March 7, 2012 at 5:02 pm

You are such a happy person to read, your kids are so lucky and blessed to have you as a mom. 🙂

Jane March 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Rock on sista! 🙂

Jane March 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Rock on sista! 🙂

MandaPanda March 9, 2012 at 5:51 am

I know you don't need another comment telling you what a fantastic mom you are and how losing weight has made yet an even BETTER mom but I'm adding one anyway. I almost stood up and cheered when I read this post! I'm so, so happy I've found your blog. Such an inspiration!

Gen November 2, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Congrats to all of you 🙂
So many comments, soooo
1. Love the shoes. Very cute
2. The “glasses” at the playground…very colorful and fun
3. Love the hair salon. An adult I may be, but I think a bit more fun and funky for adult salons would be nice…and unusual enough to pull in customers. Some of the ones they have around where I live are rather blah and stale.
Gen recently posted..Thankfulness Day 2My Profile