Whatcha Doin’ Wednesday: March 14, 2012

March 13, 2012 in Uncategorized

Whatcha Doin’ Wednesday is me giving you a snapshot of a week in my life. From last Wednesday to this Wednesday.

So you probably know all about my MRI results that I received this week but just in case you missed it you can read all about it here.

Now on to the big deal of the week!

Every other year, the school district does a “Showcase of Stars” for the physical education department.

It only happens every other year and only a few children are chosen to participate.

The ones that are chosen perform some kind of special skill they have learned in gym class.

Well guess what???

Charlotte was chosen to be in the hula hoops showcase for 2nd grade.

Annabelle was chosen to be in the jump bands for 5th grade.

Now the deal is that if you are chosen and choose to participate you also agree to be at all the practices over the span of about two months.

In addition, you have to be at the big performance.

The problem with this is the problem with most things sports and performance related.

Crowds, bleachers, standing in long lines…..

All things I could not do when I weighed over 400 pounds.

So my children would usually know in advance that even if chosen they wouldn’t be able to participate.

This has always made me feel guilty on two counts.

One–that I’m a single mom and I’m IT when it comes to getting them where they need to go.  There is no back up parent around to handle the things I can’t handle.  That means if I drop the ball–then it stays dropped.

Two–that I’m obese and that is why they can’t participate.  Plain and simple.  My fault.

So this has been a longstanding issue that the kids are used to.  And to their credit, they have always been very understanding.  Although I know missing out has been a disappointment.

BUT NOT THIS TIME!!!

Since this is the entire school district and not just one elementary school, there was a huge crowd.

We were told to get there AT LEAST one hour early so we could stand in line.

I think we all know that I could never have done that 7 months ago.

Here was the crowd and the line I stood in for close to an hour before even getting inside.

Basically, that’s like me just saying I parted the Red Sea.

Because ME UPRIGHT ONE HOUR….that is a miracle!

My oldest daughter, Savannah

When we got into the gym, this was the crowd I saw looking up into the bleachers

Where do you squeeze a 400 pound person in that crowd?

You probably don’t.

And then you get excluded again.

These were the stairs I had to climb up to get into the bleachers

I’ll admit with my knee in its current condition this was actually still really difficult.  But NOT impossible.

And it would have been this time last year.

The sign…

The bleachers I sat on.   I think these need no explanation.  Suffice it to say they are still uncomfortable at 280 but at least I can get on them now!!!!!!!

Us in the bleachers before performance.  Forgive the yellow tint of everything.  It was the walls 🙂

Annabelle–Queen of Jump Bands!

Charlotte–Princess of Hula Hoops!

CJ, Charlotte and Me

Charlotte in the hula hoop performance.  She’s the one front and center 🙂

Here is a video clip of Charlotte’s hula hoop performance.   I realize it’s super tiny and you can barely see it but that is because I was high up in the stands(again…miracle!)  and I need a better video camera.
I’m still not at a point where I can really get up and fight my way to the front to take better pictures and videos of my children.
That is something that has always bothered me.  I mean I’m not really one to fight with people anyway. But if you’ve ever been to a child’s event you’ll find that you do have to really fight to make your way to the front and get that good picture.  And you can’t do that when you either are not there at all or you can’t get up without assistance.
Or maybe I just need a better zoom lens 🙂

Here is Annabelle doing Jump bands.  She’s the one in the center.

And another video clip

I hope the video clips just give the general feel of how this place was crowded and hard to maneuver.

And that is just one more thing you can’t do when you’re very obese.  And it’s why I am SO grateful for every single pound I’ve lost and never want back!

For me, this was just another victory.  Another way I can be a better Mom to my kids.

Another good week!

RockBand Barbie March 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm

That is an AWESOME victory!!! Love the pic of the 3 of you!! I don't know if I could have stood in that line…yay you!!

greenie March 13, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Wow Holly, that is sooo terrific! I'm so happy for you and, especially, your darling, talented kiddos. Yea!

Brenda March 13, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Holly, you always touch my heart. I am so happy for you from one mom to another.

Staci's Slimdown March 13, 2012 at 8:45 pm

How wonderful that you could attend, and that your kids could attend, and they know YOU got them there, backed them up, made it happen! 🙂 I would've soooo tripped and killed myself on those jump bands! ROFL

Banded With Favor March 13, 2012 at 9:09 pm

What a fabulous family day!!! So excited you were able to participate and enjoy your kids and their talents!!! Great new family memories being made!!! Yay Holly's Family!!!

Diane Fit to the Finish March 14, 2012 at 4:29 am

Great job Holly. Those victories just keep adding up for you. I think it is wonderful that your children will be able to remember this time of your (and their) lives with joy and excitement!

Karen March 14, 2012 at 5:29 am

You go girl. Days like this one, make life rich. Keep going and never look back :). Karen P

dupster March 14, 2012 at 6:23 am

I just found your blog from Fricking Fabulous at 40. I am so impressed with your accomplishment and really identified with the difficulties of getting around a gymnasium when you're overweight, or really any crowded place. I made it to all 3 of my son's high school graduations, held at the town's BIG auditorium, but didn't even attempt my nieces' and nephews' a few years later. As I got older it became more and more difficult to manipulate those stairs.
I'm so happy for you–you're smart to be making these changes in yoru life NOW, rather than wait until you're almost 60 like I did. Good Luck–I'm going to keep reading and following your amazing progress!

MandaPanda March 14, 2012 at 6:28 am

That's awesome! So not only are you overcoming your physical demons and your children are getting a better YOU, but they're also learning about healthy lifestyles and excelling at physical fitness. So many good things in this post!

Ducky March 14, 2012 at 6:52 am

I have huge goosebumps! Knowing how happy this made you and your children is just so incredibly awesome. You are such an inspiration!! I am so proud and I don't even know you lol

You may already be a part of it…have you seen BabesRockinMami and RandomBloggets year long weekly features on Flab To Fab? They have a special facebook group as well. You can find more information at http://www.babesrockinmami.com

Again… SO awesome for you AND your daughter! Jump Band is so stinking cool. I wish we had that around here!

Reggie March 14, 2012 at 7:39 am

Holly, you have the most awesome family.

Carrie - ASassyRedhead.com March 14, 2012 at 7:44 am

I am sitting here cheering on a woman I don't even know.

How friggin awesome is that?!? You're a fabulous inspiration and now knowing you're just down the road a bit in SA makes it even more awesome for me.

Simply means the day is gonna come I can hug your neck.

You are great stuff, girl…great, great stuff.

=)

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 March 14, 2012 at 8:25 am

AWESOME NON-SCALE VICTORY!!!!! Again, you can't change your past, but you are creating a much better future. LOVE IT!!

Fit Mom March 14, 2012 at 8:53 am

Way to go! You are such an inspiration to me! I am so glad I found your blog and am able to celebrate with you in all your accomplishments!

If Only She Were Thinner March 14, 2012 at 9:08 am

You and I are so much alike it is scary. I was in your "former" shoes so I completely understand about crowds, bleachers, climbing stairs, etc. My son played varsity football and for the first two years, I hid on the end of the front row of the bleachers so I wouldn't have to climb or walk in front of the large crowds. This year was his last year of football and after losing 100 pounds by the start of the season, something rose up out of me and I volunteered to be the team photographer. So, there I was…on the field…in front of the entire crowd…smiling, laughing, and getting into the action. I loved every fricken second of it.

You are AMAZING and I love reading your stories.

ReJoyce777 March 14, 2012 at 9:21 am

Holly, I just wanted to say thank you. You have inspired me so much. I was reading your blogs on saturday and remembered the Biggest Losers theme of no excuses. So I have been walking every day since. Thank you so much for your blogs. I LOVE reading them!!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 14, 2012 at 9:28 am

Wow. This is awesome. SOO awesome. This makes me cry buckets of happy tears for you and your son. You are brave and an inspiration!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 14, 2012 at 9:33 am

Thank you so much!! You have literally just made my day! And I am SOOO proud of you!

Jane March 14, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Wow! what a great story. You have such a beautiful family, I'm so happy for all of you that you get to do so many new fun things. Also, I must give you a high five, I noticed you've lost more weight! That's a HUGE number 141…that's an entire adult. Pat yourself on the back! 🙂

Sheila March 14, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Great job Holly (well for all you have done) and such a huge victory for you! And wow, about your amazing kids. That is truly awesome, and what an honor. I'm so proud of them and they aren't even mine. 🙂

LOVE the new blog design too!