Sick day

March 13, 2012 in Uncategorized

I’ve been sick.

For a number of reasons.

Mainly because I have a terrible cough and cold.

And this is actually the first time I’ve been really sick since I had my surgery 7 months ago.

But people who have had weight loss surgery know you are restricted on what type of medicines you can take because the new stomach can’t handle just anything.

I was told I could take this

But let me tell you the taste of it was like mouthwash!

And who swallows mouthwash intentionally?

I managed to keep it down.

But I’ve been miserable

So my daughter made me some soup. Chicken corn chowder

soup

All my life whenever I’ve been sick, this has been my go-to food.

Whenever I’m sick, I eat chicken corn chowder.

Only now it doesn’t help. Maybe it’s the corn that my stomach doesn’t process anymore. Or maybe I just couldn’t taste it due to my cold.

Or maybe it’s because food just doesn’t comfort me like it used to.

But for whatever reason that was the bowl of soup after I was done with it because I could barely eat it at all.

And then, as if I needed any help feeling worse, the boxes arrived

And the UPS man rang the doorbell and ran away so we had to haul the heavy one in by ourselves and leave it by the front door because that’s as far as we could get it.

But I took the advice of many who said not to open them until I’m ready.

So there they sit.

But I was already feeling sick. So I was laying in my recliner coughing and trying to breathe. And staring at the boxes wondering what was inside.

What pieces of my mother’s life were still left lingering after a year.

So I coughed. And I sneezed. And I cried.

And then I just went to sleep because I didn’t want to deal with anything at all.

And I could feel depression starting to come over me like the cloud rolling in before a storm.

I don’t know how long I was asleep.

I just know how I woke up.

My son never one to let me be sick alone. Or cry alone. Or sleep alone!

He decided to climb into the chair with me and start taking pictures.

Until I woke up.

Because it’s hard not to wake up when you have a little boy in your lap kissing you repeatedly on the forehead. And popping off camera flashes. And laughing.

And that’s how I woke up.

To the same cough. And cold. And to the same boxes staring at me.

But somehow it wasn’t as daunting.

Because even though I still feel sick and I’ve got some hard times ahead, I also know that I have many things to be thankful for.

Like my son. Who never lets me sleep lol

Joy March 13, 2012 at 7:28 am

Ah, your son is so sweet. Cherish every moment!!

Get well SOON!!!!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 March 13, 2012 at 7:38 am

How adorable! I'm sure there will be plenty of tears shed while going through the treasures in the boxes, but there will be so many happy memories to share with your kids, the good will always outweigh the bad. I can't wait to hear what you'll find! Old report cards? Love letters? Secret credit card bills? That's what we found when my m-i-l passed, only my f-i-l new about the card the entire time! So funny.

Brenda March 13, 2012 at 7:43 am

I hope you feel better soon. Those are the sweetest pictures. Kids are so special!

Katie March 13, 2012 at 8:19 am

I hope you start feeling better! Being sick is never fun! So I am sending get well thoughts your way! I'll also be praying for you! Also you have an amazing son!

ReJoyce777 March 13, 2012 at 8:32 am

That is the sweetest!!! I just love your children!!! You have done well mama.

Lori March 13, 2012 at 9:48 am

Feel better and keep Resting. 🙂

Ali March 13, 2012 at 10:08 am

See, the kids are already helping you get through it!

mommykinz March 13, 2012 at 10:33 am

OMG what sweet kids – making you soup and giving you kisses!! I don't know about the camera though, I might have thrown it away!! Hope you feel better soon and wishing you strength to go through the boxes.

Banded With Favor March 13, 2012 at 11:24 am

My baby boy will be 9 on the 22nd…and I just love him to pieces….He is the sweetest little guy as well…Those sons!!! melt a mama's heart for sure!!!

Fit Mom March 13, 2012 at 11:47 am

awe! I just had some tears roll down my face. He is a special gift isnt he! How nice of your daughter to make you soup too! You are such a great mom!

If you have the strength to raise them the way you do, you will have the strength to get thru anything!!

And I hope you get better soon!!

FreeJulie March 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm

OMG your son is incredibly adorable! What a lovebug!! Love the pictures. I'm sorry you're sick. 🙁

Staci's Slimdown March 13, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Funny how kids can just change it all, huh? 🙂 I have 3 girls and a boy. I love and adore my girls. Not sure if you are like me, but the love I have for my son is BAAADDDD. LOL But in a good way. Nice pics! Haha. Feel better soon!

Justawallflower March 13, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Your kids are truly the sweetest!!! My daughter is really good about comforting me as well!

Also, corn is a no-go for me post surgery.

stephanee March 13, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Those pictures are precious! What a wonderful momma you must be to have such great children. 🙂 I'm praying for the Lord to give you strength as you go through those boxes. Feel better, soon! 🙂

WhisperingWriter March 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I hope you feel better.

Love the pictures. Too sweet.

~TMcGee~ March 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I hope you feel better quickly! These photos are priceless, I hope you get them printed and framed, that would cheer me up pronto looking at them 🙂

me March 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm

AW~get well real soon!!!!!

Sheila March 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm

What a wonderful way to be woken up! I had to giggle a bit because sometimes when I've fallen asleep somewhere that is not my bed and someone tries to wake me up, I'm likely to come up swinging. lol I awake with a start and my oldest daughter is the same way.

Kinda crappy that you didn't get any help bringing in the box…definitely go through it when YOU are ready. I hope you feel better soon! Hugs!

Samantha March 13, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Sorry you're feeling sick!!! Feel better! Enjoy your precious kids! And deal woth everything else after.. When you are ready!!

Carrie March 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm

So sorry you're sick…but on the flip-side, SO HAPPY I found you!

How lucky am I?!?

(My sister had surgery 6 years ago and is simply put: A whole new woman. So, I LOVE reading/hearing things like this.)

Sure hope you are feeling better soon, but until then it looks like you've got lots of kisses and love to help keep your spirits up!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan March 13, 2012 at 9:13 pm

That is one hell of a cute little boy! How sweet of him.

Feel better soon!