Shoes

March 16, 2012 in Uncategorized

At some point in time my feet swelled up so much that I could no longer fit in shoes.

I’m not sure when it happened.
I’d say it’s been about 6 years that I’ve been primarily wearing flip flops.
I would try buying the absolute biggest size shoe that they made in wide  but still it didn’t really fit me.
This is the highest they go in the store.  And I’ve been literally squeezing my feet into size 12 (or 13 if I could find them) flip flops for awhile.

End of the line for shoe sizes

Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer

It didn’t matter.

That’s what I wore.

Of course I tried to get the dressiest ones I could find.  Some type of slip on shoe.

But it had to have an open back because I just couldn’t get my foot in otherwise.
Flip flops don’t have much support so if you wear them every single day this makes walking even more painful most of the time.

Another thing happens when you are either barefoot or wearing flips flops 100% of the time.

Your heels can dry out and crack.  More pain.

When this happens, you need to put lotion on them and wear socks to get them to heal.

That is if you can bend down to put lotion on.

If you can bend down to put socks on.

Because one of the main reasons you don’t put shoes on in the first place is because you CAN’T bend down to get them on.

Or tie them.

It’s funny because I forgot that I used to wear a size 7.5 in a shoe.

I’ve been in  size “the biggest you carry” for so long I began to think that was my real shoe size.

But as I’ve lost weight, I’ve been losing shoe sizes too!

In the past 9 months, I’ve gone from a size 13 to a size 8.

I’ve lost FIVE shoe sizes.

Crazy, right??!

2 months after surgery, I bought my first pair of actual shoes in YEARS. I’d made it into a size 10.
I bought tennis shoes of course! No more walking around the block in flip flops!
We were all ecstatic for me to scrap the flip flops!

Well actually my son blew them up.  Kind of!

My brother arranged for me to get my feet analyzed and fitted for the perfect kind of walking shoes since I was spending so much time walking.

He found a store (Run On) and called ahead.  He arranged everything with them in advance including payment.

He told them my situation and that I would feel uncomfortable walking in there.
That I’d been working hard at losing weight and was walking close to 5 miles so I needed good shoes.

I sat in my car feeling nervous.

I have no place in that store, I thought to myself.

But my brother texted me and said “GO INSIDE”   🙂
When I walked in the door, they already were expecting  me.

And I was treated like a Queen!
This girl at Run On store in San Antonio fitted me for them.
She analyzed the way I walked and picked out the perfect pair

And the amount of knowledge she had in regards to shoes! I had no idea we all walk differently and some shoes are better than others.  She was a virtual encyclopedia on shoes!

If you happen to be in San Antonio, check them out because they are wonderful people!

But me? In a running store?

INSANE

And those shoes have carried me everywhere.

Up and down the roads in my neighborhood.

And what a difference they made!

And I was just so PROUD to be wearing shoes on my feet!

But I keep losing weight in my feet!

The kids and I went to the shoe store today to look for Easter shoes.

And Savannah told me to try on a pair of size 8 shoes.

Are you crazy, I asked??

They fit!

Yes—I’m a size 8.

Not in pants.  But in shoes.

And for me, that’s AMAZING.

You know how women love shoes.
I was so big for so long I couldn’t even wear them.

But now I can buy any shoe I want!

shoes

And today…..I TIED MY OWN SHOES.

tie shoes

tie shoes 2

I know it’s strange for the children to be tying the mother’s shoes but that’s how it was for a really long time.

But not anymore.

Mom’s all grown up!  She can tie her own shoes.
And you know what else I can do?
Bend down and tie THEIR shoes.

tieshoes

I can tie my children’s shoes.

For me, that is like winning the lottery.  It’s just such a simple thing for a Mom.

But isn’t that what we do?

We wipe noses.

We dry tears.

We tie shoes.

Only I couldn’t.

I couldn’t tie my own child’s shoe.
But those days are gone.
I can be a mom again.

I never thought shoes could make me so happy.

But it’s such a privilege to wear shoes.  Because not everyone can.
And suddenly I feel like Cinderella who slipped her foot into the glass slipper

And suddenly they said…”It fits!”

ifshoefits

LoriBang March 16, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Oh, how you remind me of myself! I have been gradually buying bigger shoes over the years too. I couldn't do flip flops here in winter because of all the snow, but I had some UGLY black shoes that I called my Mickey Mouse shoes. They are so WIDE, but I could just slip them on! My calfs were so big that I couldn't wear most snow boots. NOT ANYMORE! My dream is to go snowskiing some day and be able to get a pair of those boots on! You rock girl! Keep on going!

Staci's Slimdown March 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Hey, I was at my Payless today, too! 🙂 So which ones did you buy for you??? I love those pinkish/red ones. I wanted to try them on, but then I knew I would want to BUY them, and I just don't have anything for them to match. Ha! I went with the white American Eagle dressy flat. Sounds like a good Easter shoe, right? They emailed me a 30% off coupon today, so it was an awesome day to go! I am so proud for you. I love reading your blog and having you inspire me. I've had a crappy day, but I am smiling now seeing your shoe post and pictures. 🙂 Happy Friday, Cinderella!

If Only She Were Thinner March 16, 2012 at 8:53 pm

YAY!!!! What an AWESOME NSV. I wish my Fred Flintstone feet would shrink. I have been wearing a size 10 since junior high. I am only 5'-5" tall and my feet have always been ginourmous. When I had my foot measured in 8th grade, the shoe sales guy asked me if I wore skis when I went down the slopes or just went barefoot. Men…Ugh!!!

So happy for you.

Gilly March 16, 2012 at 11:29 pm

This post made me tear up a little! I'm so delighted for you! And you have cute feet!! No matter how much I lose, I will always have Fred Flintstone feet! I love your blog!!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 March 17, 2012 at 4:27 am

You don't realize all of the little things you miss until you get them back in your life, like tying a shoe. I LOVED the leopard print peep-toe!!

LuckyEight16 March 17, 2012 at 4:37 am

That is so awesome! What a great feeling that must be. Way to go!

Anonymous March 17, 2012 at 5:26 am

Love it!!!

mommykinz March 17, 2012 at 5:30 am

Go Holly!!!
I'm so excited to read what you will delight in everyday. I love the animal print ones, ooh and red love red shoes.
Isn't Target the greatest. You can buy one in every color and style and not break the bank. Congratulations to you.

Chandra March 17, 2012 at 7:02 am

Holly, I was about to post about shoes yesterday too! But I left it for next Friday. Great minds 🙂

Your posts always make me cry. I think of my mother and all the shoes she could never wear. In 2009, flip flops became not an option for her because she had her first toe amputated, and it was her big toe. Shoes were a constant ordeal for her because of her weight, so I get it from that perspective but not from actually experiencing it (other than when I was pregnant with my first and had to only wear size 10 flip flops because of foot swelling, I'm normally an 8 or 8.5)

As I read your post I was picturing all the backless shoes we have cleaned out of my mom's house in the last months. That hit me.

Congratulations. I'm so happy for you and your success…more than you know…and I don't even know you!

I love how you write; I love how you experience and express success about all things big and small.

I hope you bought those pink ballet flats. They are super cute! I might have to go pick them up myself!

Chandra

Linda March 17, 2012 at 7:03 am

Yea! Love those leopard ones. I'm not sure why but my loss in shoe size was the one thing that really embarrassed me. It made me feel so ashamed that I gained so much weight that my feet were actually fat. I went back down to my normal size after losing 100+ pounds, but it's the little things that can be really sobering and the biggest NSV's.

Anonymous March 17, 2012 at 9:22 am

Ohhhh my goodness this totally made me cry! I completely understand the love a mother has for her child and that nagging feeling you have if you can't do for them physically. Although I have never had this paticular problem I have struggle with my oldest son being a little overweight. I struggle because I wasn't physically able to go out and run or even walk for very far with him to encourage him to get some excercise. I felt like I was letting him down and I was dooming him to be where I am one day as an adult as well. I am glad to say, like you I have ran a very short distance with him since getting my sleeve. That my friend was worth every second of effort, pain, and money I have spent with my sleeve!

A big congrats to you and your children!

Amy @ Findingfitme March 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm

So many NSV's in one post. Congrats. Those animal print shoes are cute. I have wide feet they would never fit me. Unfortunatly I don't think the wide feet will change.

Carrie - ASassyRedhead.com March 17, 2012 at 5:19 pm

GET THE ANIMAL PRINT SHOES! They are fabulous on you!

My gosh…it's the little things that are the biggest things in life.

You are such a giant motivator.

I am so lucky to have found you.

Samantha March 17, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Aghh I am so stinkin excited for you! You're wearing shoes, tying dhoes, tying your kiddos shoes,.doing.it all!!! amazing job

Ronnie March 18, 2012 at 6:16 am

Beautiful post! I love that they treated you like a queen at Run On. I need to go there when I'm in San Antonio… 🙂

Justawallflower March 19, 2012 at 6:24 am

Wow, what an amazing story! So happy for you! I'm a size 11, but I've always been that size, even before getting overweight. So I have no hopes of ever being anything but that. I can relate, so a certain extent, what it is like to not be able to find good shoes in your size as most stores stop at 10 and anything bigger than that was manufactured in the reject factory. Anyway, so super happy for you, that is huge!

Debbie does Skinny March 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

This post made me so happy for you!! Congratulations on EVERY obstacles you've made it through with your weight loss as a whole but specifically your shoes. 🙂

Bryan March 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm

This is simply amazing. This it the first I've seen of your blog, and I want you to know what strikes me about any of your before/after pictures is how happy you look. I am so proud of you & of the work you have done to get where you are! Not just on the weight loss, but all of it!

And cute shoes!

Jessica G. March 22, 2012 at 5:10 am

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog, and I had to say that I found this post so so incredibly moving. I am so excited for you! Keep up the awesome job!