Mrs.Lewis

March 9, 2012 in Uncategorized

So I went to see my doctor the other day and while I was sitting in the waiting room I could hear this very high  pitched noise

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEE”

It wasn’t loud but it was extremely high pitched.

EEEEEEEEEEEEE”

I thought it was going to drive me insane.

I looked around at the others.  No one seemed to care.

I moved to the other side of the room.

No one much seemed to care over  there either.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Am I going insane?

Finally I couldn’t stand it anymore

“Can anybody else hear that?? That sound??”

A woman spoke up.

” I hear it!!”, she said.

Good. I’m not crazy.

And then

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Even higher pitched now. And louder.

And then we both got called to the window at the same time

“What is that noise out here,” She said?

The receptionist said she couldn’t hear it.

“You all don’t hear that?”, I said to my guy at the window

“No”

But then….”Yes…yes…I do hear it”

“Oh wait a minute.  I know what that is”, he said

THAT’S MRS LEWIS

“What???” both of us said.

“Yeah that’s Mrs. Lewis!!”

“What are you talking about??? You think a PERSON is making that noise?”

“No it’s her hearing aid.  Sometimes it makes that high pitched sound if the battery is low but she’s hard of hearing and can’t hear that frequency in the first place–which is why she has the hearing aid but…you know…”

Wow.

How about that?

You have a hearing aid because you’re hard of hearing. But the alert it sets off is high pitched and at a frequency that is apparently hard for even regular hearing people to hear! So not sure that alert system works well for the hard of hearing!

It made me wonder. How many times do we get alerts in our life at a frequency we just can’t hear.

Because for whatever reason we’ve just stopped.

Listening.

It wasn’t Mrs. Lewis’s fault.

But it is my fault.  When I just stop listening because I don’t want to hear anymore.

When I block out whatever I need to hear because I just can’t deal with it.

Or silence it with cookies and donuts and Big Macs to avoid it.

And on a sidenote, when I told my daughter, Charlotte, this story she was disappointed because she had hoped Mrs. Lewis was a mouse.

She had imagined for a split second that there was a little mouse running around the office named Mrs.Lewis making high pitched squeaky mouse sounds!

And even though that wasn’t the case, she loved the idea of it so much that she drew a picture of Mrs. Lewis

So here she is

Sheila March 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I love love love her little picture and I love what she was thinking in her mind was making the noise. (I was picturing a small child whining…go figure!)

Great analogy about what else in life we might not be "listening" too.

Oh and I'm really glad you aren't crazy. Love back atcha girlie!!!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 March 10, 2012 at 4:01 am

Lots of people don't listen to their body let alone their guiding voice, right? I'm frustrated right now because my friend's mom is having an obvious medical emergency and she doesn't want to see a doctor. Some people are so scared to hear what the doctor has to say that they wind up waiting until help would be too late. Ignorance is NOT always bliss!

And with regards to your daughter's drawing, the other day on the Today Show they had a segment on kids' things and there's a woman on the internet that takes children's drawings and makes them into stuffed animals/dolls! Her drawing would be absolutely adorable!! You should be able to find the link to her on the show's website. I'll look for it for you.

ReJoyce777 March 10, 2012 at 4:06 am

I too love the picture. Sounds like she has a great imagination! I love that in children. How true you are. I just posted on my blog yesterday how I was struggling this week with something and before I knew it, I had the leftovers pulled out of the fridge and was eating them. I came home yesterday in a withdrawn mood trying disparately to understand this and learn from it. It is time for me to go see my counselor, maybe he can help me. 🙂

stacey March 10, 2012 at 4:16 am

Holly,
I will say it again. You are amazing! Please continue. You have giving me and I am sure so many not only insight but incouragment when we are at a loss.
I know it is Christ in you!
xoxo

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 March 10, 2012 at 4:19 am

http://www.childsown.com. Children's "softie" maker!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 10, 2012 at 5:05 am

Well we're not out of the woods yet. I might still be a *little* crazy lol

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 10, 2012 at 5:07 am

I hope your friend's mom will be ok. I have major anxiety about going to the doctor but especially the dentist. You're right. We avoid it but then it just makes it worse usually! And that is such a neat idea about the drawing. I'm excited!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 10, 2012 at 5:10 am

Oh yes. I totally understand. TOTALLY. It is a process of breaking those habits to go to food. Don't worry. Every day is a chance to start again. So just forget about yesterday. And I will be honest I have thrown perfectly good food away before if I can't handle having it or I give the extra we have left to my elderly neighbor down the street. The one who likes 7 UP! lol And I think a counselor who gets food issues is a really great idea!! Hang in there ReJoyce!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 10, 2012 at 5:11 am

Thanks Stacey!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 10, 2012 at 5:12 am

COOL!

Delightful Domestic Science March 10, 2012 at 5:53 am

Love your blog xx Holly (yep, me too!)

Joanna March 10, 2012 at 6:44 am

What an absolutely fantastic analogy to apply to that situation. As soon as I read what you wrote, my mind started racing at all the times my body is trying to send me signals that I either ignore, or I don't realize were there until it's too late.

I have become obsessed with your blog. You are an amazing writer. LOVE IT!!

wakefield March 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Too funny. Thanks for your comments on my posts. Blogging is difficult as I feel like a private person. We shall see if I continue.

Sarah March 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Just found your blog today and wow, what an inspiration! Your strength is so admirable and I can't wait to keep reading!

trisha March 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Ok, while reading this, everytime I read an "EEEEEEEE" I thought of the little pig in the Geico commercials, Maxwell! lol Screaming his little "WEEEEEEEEEEEEE" hahaha!

But, alas, it was just Mrs. Lewis! 🙂

Your daughter's pic is too cute!

Brenda March 10, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Love your daughter's interpretation!

If Only She Were Thinner March 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm

LOL. I am right there with Trisha's comment about the Geico pig. Now I can't stop giggling.

Despite the giggles though…now I am thinking about all of the "alerts" I have been missing out on…or rather…choosing to ignore.

Love the picture.

MandaPanda March 14, 2012 at 6:23 am

Your daughter cracked me up! This was a great story and maybe it's not that we stopped listening, maybe it just took us a lot longer to figure out we needed new batteries.