I almost won the lottery!

March 30, 2012 in Uncategorized

I won $1,000 dollars in the lottery.

For about 4 minutes.

You see, on occasion, we buy a lottery ticket.  And this was one of those days.

My daughter scratched off the numbers and said

“Oh my gosh!! WE WON! I can’t believe it! We won 1,000 dollars, Mom!”

And I said “WHAT?? No way! Are you serious?”

And she said “Yes!! We won!!”

And we got all excited and started hugging each other and screaming

“I can’t believe it! We finally won more than ONE dollar!”

And then we started thinking about various ways we could spend that thousand dollars…

And while she was planning out the shopping spree in her mind, she handed me the lottery ticket

And suddenly I thought “hmmm…something is just not right…”

And so as it turns out we did NOT win the lottery.

I thought we did for about 4 minutes and boy those were 4 glorious minutes….

But on the bright side we did win one dollar

For about the 10th time

So that makes 10 dollars

And if I can just do that 990 more times then I WILL have won 1000 dollars.

And that is sort of like losing weight

I just want to wake up and have all 300 pounds gone in a day

But instead  I wake up and I’ve lost 1 pound

Just like my 1 dollar

But if I can just do one pound 300  times then that’s 300 pounds down!

So I didn’t win 1000 dollars or lose 300 pounds all at once

But I did win ONE dollar and I have a really good track record of winning ONE dollar in the lottery

And I also have a really good track record of losing one pound at a time

So I’m thinking if I can just have some patience I might just end up having lost 300 pounds one pound at a time

With 1000 dollars in my pocket by winning one dollar at a time

I could have just tossed that ticket out the window and said “who cares about a dollar” because a lot of times that is how I feel about seeing ONE pound on the scale instead of 4 or 5.

But what sense does that make?

A dollar is still a dollar. A pound is still a pound

And all those little things add up over time, right?

So I’m cashing in my lottery ticket and claiming my prize!

WOO HOO!! ONE DOLLAR HERE I COME!

RockBand Barbie March 30, 2012 at 9:44 pm

That video made me giggle! One time my son bought "fake" scratch off tickets at a gag store and had my husband thinking he had won 25,000. My son, being the prankster that he is, secretly video taped the whole thing…my husband didn't laugh at the time, but we all laugh about it now.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 March 31, 2012 at 4:32 am

I didn't even win a dollar in the NY Megamillions lottery, which I think was up to $700 million, so consider yourself ahead of the game! I LOVE scratch-offs, but I only try to buy the ones that also have an activity, like the crossword or bingo. The anticipation lasts longer that way!

ReJoyce777 March 31, 2012 at 5:50 am

You have such a gift for putting things in a way that make so much sense. Thank you Holly!!!

Katie March 31, 2012 at 6:27 am

I love scratch-off tickets, they can become so addicting! I have had some luck with scratch offs, but I had no luck with the Megamillions.. of course I didn't play so that might be why! lol.

You know if you put a dollar in a jar, or piggy bank each time you lost a pound, by the time you've lost 300lbs you'll have a nice little egg nest to buy new clothes and shoes with! Or use toward a Mommy Day out where you treat yourself to the spa, and day for just you!

Overhauling-Me March 31, 2012 at 7:31 am

WooHoo one dollar and ONE POUND!!!
You're right, each one is valuable and keep adding them one pound at a time!

LOVE Katie's ide of putting $1 in a piggy bank for each pound lost!

Sheila March 31, 2012 at 7:35 am

Great video, great analogy! Losing ONE pound IS like winning ONE dollar, but if we save and add them all up, woo hoo, we are sooooo happy! I knew that the whole weight loss thing was a journey but "knowing" and "doing" are two different animals. I thought I would be at goal by now, almost 18 months later but I still just keep putting one bite, one step, one day at a time on my journey and someday I will get there!

Laryssa March 31, 2012 at 7:48 am

This is an excellent post. Something that I didn't even know I needed to hear. You should tag it as one of those "You gotta read this post" post. 🙂

Lady Amanda March 31, 2012 at 8:16 am

I think you definitely won the Kid-lottery. You have 4 fabulous kids who are truly gifts from God! That is for sure. I loved the video because the look on Savannah's face was hilarious. I actually laughed out loud. Oh and you also won the Best-Friend lottery – if I do say so myself! 😉 he he

safire March 31, 2012 at 9:21 am

Everyone was hyped up on lottery all week! I wish you had won! I buy it occasionally but FL isn't part of the megamillions!

Good luck with everything. Super inspiring story!

If Only She Were Thinner March 31, 2012 at 9:23 am

Love it! Losing any amount of weight is like winning the lottery. Those "dollars" really do add up in the end!!

I had to chuckle at your "lottery win". It made me remember the time my husband was playing the Monopoly game at McD's and he pulled off one of the tickets and jumped up with a big old smile saying "I won 55 dollars". I thought to myself "that seems like an odd amount". I checked his "winning" ticket and said "you won 5 dollars. that is a dollar symbol in front of the 5". Ah ha ha ha. Then I sent him for an eye exam.

Nanette March 31, 2012 at 11:02 am

Good comparison… Patience is so hard… I want this 160lbs gone NOW. I've been particularly impatient lately. I love the analogy though. May your lotto tickets be lucky and your weight be ever diminishing!

Gia March 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Hahahha whoopsies! One is better than nothing, I guess…

Nat March 31, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Small streams make a mighty river, right? 🙂 Also: I have been by here a few times before, and OH MY GOD have you done an amazing job in the wight losing department! I am so impressed. I always tell myself that I will lose all that extra stomach… but then, there's always more ice cream.

~TMcGee~ March 31, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Girl!! you had me so excited 😛 lol but you truly have won the lottery in the weight loss game. Dollars and pounds do add up for sure and I CANNOT wait to see where you are this time next year on your journey. 😉 Hugs!

~TMcGee~ March 31, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I wanted to add, I looked around first to see if you had an email link (but I didn't find one), so I hope you don't mind me posting this link here (if you want it taken off after you read this comment, no hard feelings 😀 ) I found this blog awhile back and it seems she is going through her own story of a husband who has decided to turn in his notice as spouse and father. Anyway, it's a good read and I thought at the very least, the shared comradery or is it camaraderie (I can never be sure) of your faith would be a comfort to you (and her as you, dear lady are such an encourager to those around you) Enjoy 🙂

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 31, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Thanks TM! I just went to check out her blog and I had never heard of it before. They are about to go on a RV trip across the US! It looks like it will be an interesting adventure to follow and I appreciate you adding the link!!

Bring Pretty Back March 31, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Holly – oh!! LOVE the way you look at things!!!!
Have a pretty day!!
Kristin

Julie March 31, 2012 at 8:36 pm

AMEN!!! And thank you for reminding me one pound is awesome too. I love reading your posts. Thanks for sharing Holly.
Blessings!!

FitBy40 April 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I love your outlook on life! You are an inspiration.

Carrie - ASassyRedhead.com April 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

"WHAT?? No way! Are you serious?"

THAT is a much, much cleaner version than if "I" thought I just won $1000.

Much cleaner. =)

Czesia April 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

HAHAHA! That was too funny! I was cracking up during that video! I love the relationship you have with your daughter. so sweet! "You're grounded" LOL!