The 30 Second Workout

March 1, 2012 in Uncategorized

I’ve never been much on exercise.

I wasn’t someone who gravitated towards sports or enjoyed even being outside.

I don’t like to camp.

I dislike being hot.

I struggle with laziness.

I prefer the recliner and a book to anything active.

The only reason I have ever done any form of exercise was to lose weight.

If I managed to drop the weight I wanted–I quit working out.

Gee that makes all kinds of sense doesn’t it?

I knew when I had weight loss surgery that many things would have to change.

My view on exercise being one of them.

The way I viewed exercise was through a negative lens.

I constantly told myself and everyone else how much I hated it.

How I despised it.

I would sit around thinking about exercising and then thinking about how nothing in life was worth being that miserable.

Because exercising made me miserable.

And I had enough problems, you know? I didn’t need to make myself more miserable by exercising!

You want to know what it feels like to weigh 417 pounds?

Miserable

You’re hot all the time.

Your power bill is double because you feel like you live inside the sun.

Constant physical pain.

Lack of oxygen.

Just standing up is enough to make your heart race.

You’re always uncomfortable.

And here’s the irony.

I didn’t like to exercise because I didn’t like being hot.

I didn’t like the feeling of my heart pumping fast.

I didn’t like being out of breath.

I didn’t like feeling uncomfortable.

Then I got to 417 plus pounds and guess what?

You feel EXACTLY LIKE THAT all the time.

Always hot.
Your heart is always pumping too fast.
You’re always out of breath.
You’re always uncomfortable.

I didn’t want to exercise because I didn’t want to feel that way.

But in the end, I felt like that anyway.

All the time.

With no relief.

When you are very obese, you get to a point where your heart has to work triple overtime just to keep you alive.

I like my heart beating-continually.

I like being able to breathe.

I like having good circulation.

If you’ve ever experienced problems with these things then you’ll know what I mean.

30 minutes of walking may not be what I want to do.

But if those 30 minutes help the rest of my day go easier because my heart is still beating and I can breathe–then it’s worth it.

But 30 minutes might as well have been 30 miles in the beginning.

You want to know what my first power workout looked like? Ok here we go…

Stand up.  Walk in place for 30 seconds.  Sit down.

Victory!! You’ve just completed day 1 of my workout plan.

No putting on tennis shoes.

No workout clothes.

Just standing up and walking in place for 30 seconds. That’s it.

This is the text my brother sent me after I was done:
The WIN is IN.
U plan it.
U do it.
U win.
U r on the path now.
Consistency is the path more than the "what" u r doing.
It’s the action.
The commitment.
Check the victory box.
The CHECK is the power more than the box.

Oh what does he know, right?

This is my brother who was diagnosed with diabetes, congestive heart failure, sleep apnea.

The one on oxygen.

The one the doctor gave a death sentence to.

Or did I forget to mention he’s also the one who is now cured of all these ailments?

The one who lost 250 plus pounds.

The one who just ran the Marine Corps 10K.

The one earning his certification to be a personal trainer?

Yeah–THAT one.

The next day I added 30 seconds more.

Eventually I made it up to 5 miles a day.

You probably think it took me forever to do that, right?

Not at all.

The power is not so much in what you do.  But THAT you do it.

Something .

Anything.

Consistently.

And then every day add a little bit more.

When I really started having success with exercise was when I stopped comparing myself to others.

I stopped comparing myself to the 70 year olds in my neighborhood who passed me every day because they were in better shape.

To that woman in the size 1 spandex with a cute pink sleeveless top that runs by me so fast it’s a blur.

Because I don’t look like that.  I look like this.

That’s me with my daughter.

See how red my face is?  Part of that is because I have rosacea.

Because you know I don’t have enough issues, right?

So when I exercise, my face gets as red as a tomato.  That adds to the charm, right?

Once my face was so red, that a car actually pulled over and asked me if I needed help.

I’m not my most attractive when I’m exercising and I’ve decided I don’t care.

I’ve even started taking pictures of myself as I’m plodding along.

You know why? Because I’m doing it.

And THAT is where the beauty lies.

And I usually feel like this

I don’t care if I look like Bob the Tomato from Veggie Tales because my face is red from Roseacea and I weigh over 400 pounds.

I don’t care if I have to wear a man’s quadruple extra large sized sweatshirt because that is all that fits.

I don’t care that a man yelled out his window at me to "Go home" because "You’re too fat to be outside".

Yes that happened.

And I don’t care.

Because I already know my face is red and I weigh over 400 pounds and I am a sight to see if you’re driving by.

And God has told me that regardless of all that I’m this:

You know what I care about?

Taking my son to baseball.
Being able to shop with my daughter.
Not feeling like I’m in a prison cell.

My fitness plan is simple.

Commit to doing something very small and manageable every day.

Then every day do a little bit more.

Whatever you do every day on a consistent basis over time will make a difference.

So who cares if you look like the bottom picture…..

Or some guy yells rude things to you out the window.

When you’re out there changing your life–that’s beautiful.

That is your Kodak moment.

~TMcGee~ March 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I just started reading your blog recently and this post made me cry (in a good way). You are an inspiration and I am so excited to follow your journey. 🙂

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate taking you the time to leave me this kind message!

trisha March 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Girl, I cannot BELIEVE some asshole had the audacity to yell that at you?!!?!

TRUST me, if I had been there, he woulda been swallowin his TEETH! freaking douche. Seriously, this makes me SUPER mad. Old bullying scares never heal, you know that….

LOVE LOVE the pic of you and your daughter – and the night one – how did you manage that?! what setting did you use on your camera??

You ROCK sister. DO you realize the epic effect your words are inflicting on people you may never meet?? 🙂

Mike Turner March 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I think you extrude more beauty then you give your self credit for both from your heart and on the outside, you have more strength then anyone I know If I had just half of the strength and willingness you have I might be able to start and win my own battle but I still fall under the false negatives that fill my head.

Andrea March 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Good for you! Very inspiring!

Linda Sherwood March 1, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I needed to read this. I need to be more consistent with my exercising, and I needed a better way to look at it. Thank you.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Trish!! I think you are on of the coolest people I have met in blog world. Your blog makes me laugh and helps me focus on the journey! You are gorgeous inside and out. Plus when you offer to knock someone's teeth out that is like the true measure of bloggy friendship!!!! You're the bomb.com as my younger daughter would say. I don't know if other people say that but you get my drift!!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm

That is so nice of you to say!! Wow I really appreciate that. You made my day. I totally know how you feel. The surgery has made a major difference and helped me get to a point I wasn't able to get to on my own. I pray that every person out there who needs this will be able to get it. Thank you so much and keep hanging in there. You can overcome!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm

thanks Andrea!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Thanks Linda!! Consistency is tough to achieve because I struggle with it too. Right now with my injured knee I am getting out of my routine so when I start back it will probably be like square one. But I know it works! Thanks for commenting!!!

Trudi March 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I am so glad that I found your blog. I just had my surgery a month ago and I am starting about where you did. I need some positives to keep me on the right track. You have done so well, and you have a wonderful attitude!
I live in Texas too 🙂

Christina March 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Wow, what a beautiful post! I've recently gotten back into exercising, and this is exactly what I needed to read. Thank you for sharing. You are a true inspiration.

Diane Fit to the Finish March 2, 2012 at 4:21 am

Wonderfully inspiring post. I am so proud of you for getting out there and exercising. When I first started exercising I wore my dresses because I had no shorts or pants that fit.

Marcelle Garcia March 2, 2012 at 5:37 am

You are truly an inspiration, I saw you posted a link on verticalsleecetalk.com and wanted to check it out!

howdycollege March 2, 2012 at 6:29 am

Just did 10 minutes of walking- totally out of breath. Was thinking of you and praying for your MRI today. I hope they find out what the issue is so you can go back to your power walking without being in agony. Love the pictures- they were REAL life pictures- and show all of your effort. Love it!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 2, 2012 at 7:24 am

Hey Trudi fellow Texan!! So nice to meet you! I'm very excited about you starting on this path and I really appreciate your comments. I am going to be cheering for you!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 2, 2012 at 7:25 am

Thanks Christina! I really appreciate that. It is so hard to get back into exercising at first but the more you do it the more you feel the benefits. I was going to say 'the easier it gets' but then I stopped myself hahhaa!! I still have to force myself but when I'm going through daily life and noticing the increase in endurance/flexibility that is when I'm glad I did!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 2, 2012 at 7:26 am

Oh my gosh Diane!! That was me too. Big dresses and flip flops. I was so excited when I moved to actual tennis shoes and when I bought my 'walking' outfit it like I had won the lotto!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 2, 2012 at 7:27 am

thanks Marcelle! That is such a great board. Anyone who has had this surgery please check it out. It has helped me through so many times with the great support and great info!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 2, 2012 at 7:28 am

Hey you figured out how to comment on my blog!! Woo hoo!! I know it is a pain having to fill out the stuff they require so thanks for doing that. I really appreciate it. I wish I could make it easier to leave a comment. Great job on walking!! And thanks for the prayers for MRI. Leaving in a few minutes. I wonder if they'll let me snap pics of myself from inside the tube hhaha just kidding…you know Im crazy about snapping pics of everything!

Chandra March 2, 2012 at 9:59 am

Holly,

I just found your blog for the first time. So far, I've read two posts and I can't wait to read more!

I just wanted to say to you, good job! I am just overwhelmed right now because my mother died 6 months ago, and she was about 200+ pounds overweight. At only 70, every health problem she suffered was a direct result of her weight and carrying it for so long. I watched her from the time her weight started causing outward problems for her in 2003 through to August 2011.

I'm no angel. I deal with the battle of the bulge as well. I currently need to lose 20-30 pounds but I have been heavier. I don't judge my mother. But it made me so mad, so frustrated, so sad, to watch her eat herself to death. I feel like that's what she did.

I just want to say thank you for taking care of yourself. Thank you for caring. Thank you for protecting your loved ones. They want you around.

You can do it. I'm going to add myself as another one of your supporters – although I'm sure I will end up being supported and effected positively by your journey.

I'm sorry you've had such horrible experiences with people outwardly shouting at you with offensive statements. I think that's horrible. Those people without a weight issue get to hide their mistakes, don't they? When our mistakes are with our diet and exercise, they show up on the outside for all to see.

I look forward to reading this blog. And again, thank you. You lifted my heart today.

Chandra

JRD March 2, 2012 at 2:15 pm

This is awesome, and illustrates exactly the kind of attitude with exercise that represents true, lifelong changes to our lifestyle…it wasn't until I was banded that I really understood on a fundamental level what "lifestyle" change actually meant…now I feel like we are able to SUSTAIN these positive changes in our lives – and I will be forever grateful to my band that it has given me this tool. I commend you on your amazing positivity and the change you've been able to affect in your own life – you are really an inspiration! So glad I found you, and that we're following each other! Keep up the good work…

Sheila March 2, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I just *love* the text from your brother! LOVE IT!! I have been exercising consitently for the last almost 8 years at Curves min. 3x a week, max. 5x a week for 8 years and I want to smack the you-know-what outta people who dog on Curves and say that it's terrible exercise. True doing it didn't make me any less morbidly obese, but it helped my heart, my soul, my cardiovascular system, and guess what when I started losing the fat I discovered I actually DID have muscles under it all. Who would have guessed? I love your comparison of hating to exercise because of the hot, breathing hard but learning that life at 400lbs was just as hot and hard to breath. Excellent point, I truly think embracing exercise as fun, not torture, is a big key to having sucess now and in the future.

Read March 2, 2012 at 7:29 pm

OMG – I love love love this post!!! Thanks so much!!

the mommy psychologist March 2, 2012 at 9:14 pm

What a great post. From a psychologist's standpoint, you did an absolutely excellent job describing what it is like to be overweight in a way that everyone can understand. I can't believe some a-hole yelled out the window. I hope I see him someday when I am out running. I'll key his car at a stoplight.

FitBy40 March 3, 2012 at 8:43 am

I'm a new folower and you are already such an inspiration already!
Great post.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan March 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm

No matter how many times I see that last photo it makes me laugh so hard I nearly snort! ahahahha

Keep up the exercise!!!! I am learning to love it more each week.

Stephanie M. March 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I am sooooo impressed by you. You're an inspiration! And you're not overly red…you're glowing beautifully. 🙂

-Stephanie

Chandra March 5, 2012 at 7:40 am

I agree with Stephanie!

I've been thinking about this post since I read it last week and I am ready to get moving. 3x this week my butt will do SOMETHING. Now I've written it down for the world to see, I've got to do it.

You keep on going! I love your pics of yourself exercising! I should do that for myself…need to lighten up, laugh at myself a little, and accept me for who I am.

You are inspiring!

Chandra

personal trainers in nj May 24, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Wow, it is really interesting to read your posts. Your work is really appreciating, it is marvelous. It will greatly inspire the persons who have lost the faith in themselves about losing weight. The pictures are really great.

Alysia June 1, 2012 at 5:17 pm

You’re Awesome!! Love your pictures, especially the ones where you are out running. Keep up the positive attitude.

Carrie February 10, 2016 at 5:57 am

This is a neat surammy. Thanks for sharing!

Tricia October 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I feel like you write what is in my heart. THANK YOU!

Angela October 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Oh my goodness! The comparison picture of the lady running and what I’m guessing is a frightened little girl is too funny! Thank you for the laugh! I’ve been reading your posts and I really enjoy your writing. I too am working on my weight and I’ve experienced some of the things you and your followers write about. Tight chairs, coats not fitting, heart P U M P I N G from the slightest movement and, then … the freedom you feel when you drop a few pounds. The awesomeness (is that a word?) when you can shop in a “normal” store! Congratulations on your weight loss. Keep up the hard work!

Shari Turpen January 5, 2013 at 6:13 pm

You have given me so much hope! This is the first time I think I can actually work toward my goal and be healthy and fit and restore my body, God’s temple. Thanks so much for this blog and all your encouragement!

Blessings,
Shari

Natalie January 14, 2013 at 3:09 am

That “dry heaves” poster is hilarious! Love it!
Natalie recently posted..Lots of nappingMy Profile

Amy January 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Girl, this was amazing!!! I just stumbled upon this blog when I was google searching for Planet fitness workouts and I looked around.. you are amazing! Such an Inspiration. I have never been 400lbs but I started this journey at 272 so I kindof know how you feel with the feeling of living in the sun. Im always Hot!!!!!! but i’m down to 246. I was feeling unmotivated this morning, and found you and you motivated me again so thank you! I found you at the right time!

NENE May 6, 2013 at 1:19 pm

You are my inspiration to start, I have read this over and over so I can say it to myself when I want to give up.I am starting my journey at 244.
thank you for sharing your journey.

Ren June 20, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Oh wow. Thank you. Really, thank you.
I am 270 pounds and just started a workout program at planet fitness.
I have been praying and asking The Lord for motivation, and here you are!

Kathy September 6, 2014 at 6:34 pm

What an inspiration you are Holly! I hardly ever comment on blogs but your story touched me so much. I admire how much you lean on God throughout your struggle ~ our God is good!! I also admire your attitude about not caring what others thought ~ your determination is so motivating!! Thanks for sharing your story Holly ((hugs)), Kathy

Melissa Acosta March 1, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Awesome last few lines. I am on this road now. Thank you for sharing your life.

Vera April 28, 2016 at 10:01 pm

What powerful thngs… Doesn’t matter how much weight you want to lose…Doesn’t matter even what you want to change in your life… It’s all about determination and action…
Thanks… It’s so very inspiring…:)

Nena Dedrick June 9, 2016 at 1:47 am

Wow you really touched my heart, it was if you was describing me, I just can,t seem to get going, but you made me feel so good, I to feel like I’m so fat and ugly .I hate to even look in the mirror. I way 276 pounds a and I hate it but I don’t,t do any thing about it because I,be gotten so big I feel like theirs nothing I can do anything about it, eveverything you said made me think about me, I’ve got to do something about it,thank you so much for sharing your story, It brought tears to my eyes, AND BY THE WAY YOU LOOK GOOD,I thank you so much you just don’t,t know

hugssandi September 18, 2016 at 6:12 pm

WOW~I think I remember when you started, way back when… And here you’ve done it! GO GIRL! ~I’m still in the same place~ But I aim to make it happen now and am so inspired by your sharing! *THANK YOU!*

Heather October 4, 2016 at 6:02 pm

I cannot tell you how much I needed this today! I just saved it, I think i’ll read it every day from here on out.

THANK YOU…for writing it.

xoxo
H.

Terry February 23, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Thank you for the inspiration. I started a little over a month ago at 380. I am starting the fitness part today. I am totally not looking forward to it!