A Comment about Comments

March 18, 2012 in Uncategorized

The other day I was looking through the comments people had left me and then  I hit a button.

I don’t know how it happened exactly.  I just know that a second later I got a message that said this:

25 Comments have been deleted

I tried to reverse it but apparently this is a “permanent action” that can’t be reversed.

Then I decided to try and change my template design.  I’m not very good at anything technical and somehow when I changed my template I must have done something that now made it impossible for me to reply to any of the comments people leave!!

So now I get all these comments and I can’t reply to them.  And some of the comments I received have all been deleted!

And the worst part is that I did it to myself!

It reminded me of the time I lived in Alaska.

I had 3 children and I was homeschooling.

I was 9 months pregnant with my son.

And I was finishing up my Masters degree.

Writing my 80 page thesis.

I was on page 74 when suddenly I hit a button and everything disappeared.

It was gone.

All 74 pages.

I thought I would go into labor right there from the pure shock!

I knew there was no way I could recreate 74 pages.  I had barely made it that far to begin with.

Homeschooling.  3 kids.  Pregnant.  Cooking. Cleaning.  And the Alaska winters where it’s dusk 24 hours a day.

I already felt like losing it.

That was it I supposed.  End of the line.  I’m going to be the only person to have completed all the classes and the exit exam and 74 pages of their final thesis…and then quit.

Because she was 6 pages to go to the finish line and one button deleted it all.

And there was no way my brain could fathom writing it all over again from scratch.

Because I had a C-section scheduled that Monday and then recovery.

And then a new baby.

On top of my 13 month old baby.  And my 3 year old.  And my 7 year old.

And homeschooling.  And cleaning.  And cooking.

And the 6 months of student teaching I was supposed to do that spring.

I just knew it was over.

But then my husband came home from work and did something magical to the computer.

And it restored all that was lost.

Somehow with the touch of a button, my paper was back.

UNdeleted.

I really never understood what happened to make it disappear.

Just like I didn’t understand what happened to make it reappear.

I just knew one thing.

It was restored!

This is so much like my life.

I can’t say exactly where I went wrong in my marriage.  What exact button I pushed that made everything suddenly disappear.

I can’t say exactly where I went wrong with my weight.  What exact moment I lost complete control and slid down into the endless pile of twinkies.

I just know this.

God is restoring me.

Maybe not always in the way I expect.  But somehow with the touch of His hand….it’s being restored.

Unfortunately those 25 comments I deleted are still gone.

Along with the fact that I can’t reply to any of your comments

But I read them.  And I know what they said.

They were full of encouragement and inspiration.

And the kind of amazing support that you never could imagine you would find on the other side of a computer screen!

And even though I’m sorry that you won’t see your comments on the page, I want you to know they are still in my heart.

And I’m probably going to just hire someone to re-do my template so I CAN reply to the comments you leave!

But maybe it’s time I put a big red sticker on the DELETE button!

Seriously??? I’ve really gotta stop doing this….:)

“I will restore you”  Jeremiah 30:17

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 March 18, 2012 at 1:26 pm

What an amazing post! I almost had a panic attack FOR you when you said your thesis was gone. I could tell how hopeless you would have felt at that time. Doing all of that, getting it all done and wondering if your husband was giving you any kind of support. Thank God he had the knowledge to restore your computer! And no matter what you ever feel about your ex, he gave you the best gift you could ever receive, your 4 precious children. THAT was the real purpose of your marriage. You may not be in love any longer, but God created it with your babies.

Pam August 27, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Linda, you are frickin’ fabulous. You are so right about those kids her ex gave her–aren’t kids the best thing we can ever do in our lives? LOVE my three grown up sons and their families. I really don’t know where I’d be without them.
Pam recently posted..A Big Red VictoryMy Profile

Joy March 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I wonder if those comments were meant only for you! Cherish them! You are an amazing person!! So insightful!! Keep up the great work on your health!!

Stay focused!

Gilly March 18, 2012 at 2:18 pm

You have a gift, my friend! Your posts are amazing!

Jane March 18, 2012 at 3:05 pm

You have such a great attitude. Things are going to be just fine for you!

Speaking of deleting, I just came back to write down your taco/salsa recipes (because I hate cooking too and yours sound yummy and easy) to share an easy low carb Quiche with you. So, here's my best effort to share a link with you and I'm not finding your recipes…Is it just me? We LOVE Mexican food at our house. hmmmmm can't find a place to link up a recipes. If you want it (not everyone loves Quiche) so it won't hurt my feelings if you don't…but find me here janeinmt@gmail.com.

Carrie - ASassyRedhead.com March 18, 2012 at 3:52 pm

What a fabulous way to look at such a rough-feeling thing.

Way cool…way, way cool.

=)

Laryssa March 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm

That's one reason I'm so thankful my brother is an IT Tech …. it helps me when things like this happen. :)

mommykinz March 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Seriously?! You never cease to amaze me! And I would have said that for any one of the things you went through… Kids so close together, 80 page thesis, student teaching when you have children, living in Alaska… But home schooling? Now that's brave! Another great post.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for all your comments!! I totally read and appreciate each and every one. Sometimes I even read them twice! Unfortunately I have done something to my template where I can't reply to you all individually lol but at least I can reply here! So for now this is what it will be. And Jane–I owuld LOVE your quiche recipe I will email you! I know I'm strange but I put back in drafts the post that I just made about the asada tacos and salsa. I still have it there and will probably repost it later. OH that's another story. Trust me I'm a piece of work this weekend!!

Sheila March 18, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Sorry about the comments being gone, I remember one time something happened to "My Blog List" and everything went poof and disappeared. And there was no way to bring it back. I had to recompile it from scratch. Darn blogger. Sigh.

Oh and about the exact moment when things went wrong. I don't think there is one. It's a buildup. I often think about my weight and how if someone handed me a grain of sand every 5 minutes for 10 years, it would take me a while to realize how heavy the added grains of sand were. Sort of how we put on weight, and by the time we realize how much we have put on, it's too late! BUT not anymore for us, yay!

~TMcGee~ March 18, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I wish I knew how to help you with your template but I can't even figure out how to change my own so I can have a super cute blog. LOL…Great post, Holly! and I ditto about homeshooling..seriously, my hero :D

A Journey to a new me... March 18, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I still feel incredibly blessed to have found your blog. You're very inspiring…

And stupid question time…whats the "reply" button under our comments do (other than post a reply under their comments)? I wish I had a way to reply to a persons comment that would send it to their email!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down July 23, 2012 at 5:11 am

The reply comes to me! And I so appreciate all your comments!! I have been reading them and they made my day!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Journey to a new me…thanks!!! I am inspired by you as well. And the reply button directly under each comment would allow me to reply to each person I suppose rather than having to do it this way. Which is still ok but I just would like it better if I could reply individually . But I will get it fixed soon! The main thing is that everyone knows I appreciate their comments and I read them. That would be cool if it went to their email, right?

christine March 18, 2012 at 10:16 pm

My "I can't say exactly" was how I let several stressful situations over the past few years pile up and I could barely function. Well, I could mostly function, but I went through some e-couselling at my work and I'm not even sure how I functioned. I'm confused by that statement but do you get what I mean?

I don't read many blogs by Christian authors…. and I LOVE yours. thanks for the hope! I can't seem to figure out the source of my weight struggle, except that I do too many things at once. (got about 30-40lbs to lose overall). Stress much? yes!!

Thanks for writing. You're an inspiration.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 18, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Christine—that is a huge honor to me. Thank you so much!!