Monday Madness: Weight Loss, pink slime and Jamie Oliver

February 19, 2012 in Uncategorized

Monday can be dangerous for me.

It’s supposed to be the beginning of a new week.

A new opportunity to attack this mountain I am climbing.  A fresh start!

Unfortunately, it can sometimes be the start of a slump.

If I don’t get my week off on the right foot, I can quickly find myself in a rut.

If this happens then often the whole week is shot.

Before I know it, Friday has come and nothing was really accomplished.

So Monday needs to be like an adrenaline shot to the heart.

Something that really gets me fired up about losing weight, being healthy and getting fit!

So I’m posting this clip from Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution all about the disgusting pink slime that fast food chains and frighteningly school cafeterias have been putting in hamburgers!

I can tell you that I have ingested a steady flow of McDonald’s hamburgers for years.

I went so often through their drive-thru that I literally became FRIENDS with the people at the window.

In fact, I actually was invited to the baby shower of an employee there because we saw each other twice a day for several years in a row.

She invited me to her baby shower.

That’s how often I went through the drive-thru at McDonald’s.

If “you are what you eat” and McDonald’s hamburgers are full of pink slime…well then–I’m pink slime.

Nice to meet you.

Here’s a clip of Jamie Oliver talking about how this pink slime is made.

Ever thought of cooking with your cleaning products? Me neither.

Now here’s a little disclaimer.  McDonald’s has since made the decision to stop using the pink slime in their hamburgers.

However you have to stop and ask yourself…if they were willing to do this in the first place–what else are they putting in their food?

And what about all the other fast food restaurants? Carl’s Jr? Burger King? Jack in the Box?

Can we get a word from ya’? Where do you stand on this?

Even if McDonald’s has stopped doing this, I still have serious trust issues with them now!

This is an anxiety producing video for me.

I’m not really interested in eating dog food.

And yet from the sound of this video we might as well pull up to the drive thru and order a Quarter Pounder Alpo burger with a side of Kibble n Bits.

The thought of them slipping things like this into my food AND the food I feed my children sends chills up my spine!

My daughter freaks out if she thinks she swallowed a little bit of mouthwash because of the child danger label.

How would she feel about ammonia being mixed into the recipe of her happy meal?

I can’t say for sure if McDonald’s is putting disgusting things in their food and then covering them up with Big Mac sauce so we don’t notice.

But I do know this—I just associated that pink slime with McDonald’s hamburgers.

GROSS!!

And this is one association that I will not soon forget.

So here’s the good news–by associating these two things together, I’ve now decreased my desire to eat there.

Good old classical conditioning.

More specifically this is “aversion therapy”—taking some undesirable behavior that you want to quit doing(like eating at McDonald’s so often you end up on the drive-thru window lady’s baby shower invitation list) and pairing it with something highly negative (or in this case disgusting, unappetizing and generally YUCKY!)

Anything I can do to keep myself away from the fast food window is a good thing.

Sooooo aversion therapy…start your engines!

Imagine pink slime being poured all over your cupcakes too.

No one said they’re doing that but since it’s so disgusting the visual picture of it should keep me out of the bakery aisle for awhile.

Yep that did it…I think I’m good now.

I won’t be craving any Big Macs or cupcakes for awhile.

I knew that psychology degree would be good for something some day!

Andrea February 19, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Yeah that's so gross! That will definitely want to make you stay away from McDonalds!

Anonymous February 20, 2012 at 4:54 am

Did you see the article about how they dissolve human hair and use it as a thickner in some breads- also they use duck feathers for the same purpose. GROSS. That is why they say that people should stick to whole grain breads because the chance of THAT being in there is much less. Totally grosses me out.

Diane Fit to the Finish February 20, 2012 at 5:15 am

So glad to meet you in the blog world! I read that article about the pink slime, but hadn't seen a video clip. Disgusting and like you said – what were they thinking using it in the first place. If they hadn't been found out they would still be using it. Ugh.

Holly February 20, 2012 at 5:19 am

aaaaaahhhh!! No way! That is completely disgusting!! I can't believe it! What is going on? I can't believe that they supposedly regulate what can and can't go in your food and yet pink slime, human hair and duck feathers make the cut?!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 20, 2012 at 6:33 am

Hi Diane! I just ready your blog about the school cafeteria deeming a child's brought-from-home lunch as not meeting standards!! this is so ironic considering they are also putting the pink slime in their burgers and currently are guilty of providing some of the most unhealthy lunches ever! It is sad when they look at a turkey sandwich and banana as unhealthy. Then give the child chicken nuggets instead!

Mike Turner February 20, 2012 at 7:19 am

Wow what an eye opener that is, knowing that ammonia is used I don't even want to give it to my dogs let alone eat it my self, guess its time to invest in that meat grinder I wanted for my stand mixer and start making my own ground meats,

Amy February 20, 2012 at 11:10 am

Hi Holly! Thanks for stopping by my blog – I have to tell you, that pink slime stuff was one of the reasons I went vegetarian!
And I totally agree with you on Mondays – it helps a lot to get off to a good start on Mondays!
Congratulations on all the progress you have made so far and more power to you!

Mimi February 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm

hi holly! check out this recipe for spaghetti squash..you definitely don't have to use any type of meat sauce..eating it with just salt and pepper is quite delish! i got the idea off of http://www.kalynskitchen.com/

particular this recipe: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/02/recipe-for-twice-baked-spaghetti-squash.html

=) your blog is awesome! congrats on your journey..keep it up!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

thanks for the recipe!! That is great. I really appreciate it . I've been wanting to try this alternative for pasta since it doesn't sit well in my new stomach. Thank you so much!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Thanks Amy!! I appreciate you taking time to come visit me over here!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I agree. Ammonia is yucky whether it's for humans or dogs? Makes me want to go check out the dog food ingredients I'm feeding mine!!

Riversuzyq February 5, 2013 at 7:29 pm

This, and other chemical food additives, is what has gotten us fat in the first place. There is new evidence that suggests that the more additives and processed foods we eat the more our bodies cannot process the ” food”, storing it as, you guessed it, FAT! And I’m thinking disease. If we are going to eat meat, fish and chicken then make sure it is from a clean source….veggies and fruit too! Sorry to sound cynical but if we trust our health to manufacturers whose priority is their bottom line then we get what we get!