Homestead handcrafts

February 29, 2012 in Uncategorized

There is a store close to my house which draws me in like a magnet.

Crafters and others rent out space in the store.  So the entire store is filled with things from different sellers. It’s kind of like an etsy shop in real life.  I absolutely love it.  Everything there is unique.  Every time you go in there it’s something different.  And it always smells like cinnamon apples!  I go here to buy all the hairbows for my girls! I have 3 girls so I am kind of a hairbow fanatic!

Here are some more pics I snapped for you of this awesome store!

Personalized Toilet Paper!

And next to it was this sign!

Oh I really have to get this one for my bathroom.  I have 4 children but someone is always screaming, “I need toilet paper!!!”…usually me…

I walked past a mirror while I was in the shop and caught a glimpse of myself with my purse on my shoulder. I know this sounds silly but I still can’t get over the fact that I can carry my purse ON my shoulder. For the last 3 years I’ve had to carry my purse with my hand. I just couldn’t get it on my shoulder. But now I can! And I still just can’t believe it. So of course I snapped a pic.

Forgive the look on my face.  I was probably trying to pretend I wasn’t taking a picture of myself in the mirror!

I could spend hours in this store because there is so much to see. Only I couldn’t spend hours anywhere 7 months ago.  I could spend a few minutes maybe before the back-breaking, knee-shattering pain brought me back to reality.

Just long enough to grab some hair bows for my daughters.  Not the ones I might have wanted.  But the ones I could reach without bending down.  The ones I could pick out in the 2 minutes I had before my ankle threatened to buckle underneath me.  No time to pick out exactly the perfect bow.  I had to settle for ‘good enough’.  Which meant my kids had to settle as well.

But now I can stand before a sea of bows.  I can spend as long as it takes to pick out the perfect one just for her.  It’s a small thing.  Just something a mother loves to do for her daughter.  Something that makes me smile.

And it makes her smile too.

And when she smiles, I smile.

Yep–lots of smiling these days

Staci's Slimdown February 29, 2012 at 9:10 pm

LOL at your comment on the expression in the mirror. I didn't pay attention til you mentioned it, but you can tell it's the "I'm just taking a pic of that over there that I like… not a pic of myself. Don't mind me."
That store looks like it has a lot of really great stuff. But you know what *I* see when I look at the pictures???? CLUTTER!!! I am a very organized person, and displays like that drive me insane. LOL Weird, I know.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 29, 2012 at 9:57 pm

hahaha you would go crazy in there then! Because the store is like the pics times 50 for every aisle! I wish I had your brain for organization. I am so NOT organized!! But I do use the Flylady system to keep myself appearing organized to the outside world!!

Sheila March 1, 2012 at 5:43 am

What a cute store, that looks like a wonderful place to spend some time, I'm SO happy that you can do that now instead of a few minutes. What a huge victory! And don't worry about your expression ALL of my photos that I take of myself in the mirror have that SAME look on concentration…it's hard to take a photo of yourself in the mirro (and make it look cute!) LOL!

Sheila March 1, 2012 at 5:44 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sheila March 1, 2012 at 5:45 am

Sorry about the typos…

Should say *of* concentration
and
in the *mirror*

aaargh!

Dawnya March 1, 2012 at 6:21 am

I will have to check that store out next time I'm in SA.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 7:13 am

Sheila you're just like me. I get so irritated at myself if I comment with typos lol. But hey at least you didn't say "constipation" instead of concentration. That's a whole different post though! lol

Christina March 1, 2012 at 8:38 am

I'm a new follower, just wanted to say hi! I look forward to catching up on your blog and following your journey 🙂

Barbara March 1, 2012 at 8:54 am

And what a cutie pie your daughter is! I could spend hours in a place like this!

A Journey to a new me... March 1, 2012 at 9:44 am

How AWESOME is that??!! It's REALLY REALLY Awesome! When I saw the pic of you I instantly thought "aww how cute! She's so photogenic!" didn't even phase me that you had such a look of bewilderment on your face!!

And BTW…no victory is "too small"..ALL victories count because they are a move in the right place!

And I like those stores…I'd say love those stores but I'm REALLY working on not having too many material things in my life. But either way it's fun to go through there and see what neat things I could take home!

Lana in MI March 1, 2012 at 11:18 am

I love your blog!!! I want to go to that store so bad! HA HA I'd spend hours in there! They'd have to ASK ME TO LEAVE. ha ha Oh that just looks like way too much fun! My mom used to do craft shows w/ things she'd painted and then sell…fun stuff. I miss that.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hi christina! I just went to your blog and tried to leave you a comment but after I filled out that captcha thing to prove I'm not a robot lol there was no where to click 'publish'. So maybe I really am a robot!! Anyway I will try again later . So glad to meet you!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the comment about being photogenic! I get lucky sometimes. But as soon as a good one comes along there will be a scary one! delete! delete!! hahahaa

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Thanks Lana! I am so NOT crafty . I am the worst person in the world. I love all that handmade stuff. I love those hand painted signs. I pretty much love anything americana but I am just not a crafty person . It's a cruel twist of fate. I love it but can't make it. So i have to buy it!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Oh something to add to the reply to lana…I just reread that and I wrote "I am the worst person in the world" Ah! Ok I meant to say I am the worst person in the world AT CRAFTS!! Maybe that was some psychological slip lol.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm

thanks Barbara!Don't you make those paper crafts?I'm pretty sure you are the one who makes those cards etc. I am in awe of you!I wish I was crafty!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Yes for sure! And then swing by for a cup of coffee with me!!

Linda Sherwood March 1, 2012 at 2:01 pm

If I lived close to that store, I'd go broke! I love the photos of you and your daughter. You are looking awesome,and your daughter is adorable. I love the victory of being able to take the time to look for the perfect bow.

I have four kids too, and I totally agree with that sign about the toilet paper. For as small as there butts are, I can't believe the amount of toilet paper they use! My youngest daughter frequently calls from the bathroom to the house phone requesting someone bring her toilet paper. You would think she'd learn to look first. LOL

trisha March 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm
Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 6:03 pm

hahahaha…this made me laugh so much!! I am glad I'm not the only one who has a child that calls you from the bathroom. I guess it's better than screaming..maybe?!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Thanks for the link Trisha!! I hadn't seen that. I did see it made the yahoo top news today. I still can't get over how they didn't think that would be viewed negatively!

Anonymous March 3, 2012 at 9:23 am

I live in San Antonio and would really like to visit this store. What part of town is it in?

kristi March 3, 2012 at 11:05 am

That store looks awesome!

Lee Ann March 12, 2012 at 11:50 am

Oh I had to google the location of this store since I'll be moving back to TX this week! I see it's near San Antonio. I know there are a ton of surgeons in the area but I went to Dr. Patel in SA. Was he perhaps yours too?